Author Topic: Grande Mozzarella in Albuquerque  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Arnie

Grande Mozzarella in Albuquerque
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:46:21 PM »
I've really learned a lot from this site and have been able to locate in Albuquerque many of the products that have been recommended, however I'm stumped on a supplier for Grande products. I know that I can order them from PennCo, but the shipping costs are outrageous, especially on a tight budget. Does anyone know of a supplier in Albuquerque, or even in the SW US, that will sell to a consumer? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. The mozz cheese I currently buy from Costco and Sam's Club breaks down way too easy on my pizza's, and all I end up with is the equivalent to american cheese spread. :'(

Offline UnConundrum

Re: Grande Mozzarella in Albuquerque
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:03:51 PM »

Offline Arnie

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:13:36 PM »
Yup, that was my first attempt, however they replied that they only sell though authorized distributors and gave me a couple of options out of Wisconsin and Pennsylvania after I had asked for nearby sources.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 11:03:54 PM »
I think you are screwed...
There are many places in the lower 48 don't sell grande....
Be lucky that you havea Costco...........JT

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 07:22:03 AM »
You might to talk to the cheese dept. manager at La Montanita Coop. They have special ordered cheeses for me in the past, although I've never requested Grande.
Procrastinate later

Offline Arnie

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
Thanks, I had forgotten about the Coop, hadn't been there in over 10 years. I'll go by this weekend.

Offline Mo

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »
What about bel gioso? I don't know what they sell at costco but I don't think there is much wrong with the bel gioso if there's nothing else. It's what I've used in a pinch when I've run out of Calabro or Grande...

Offline Rick Iverson

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 02:17:16 PM »
Arnie;

Try Vern's Cheese.  6 lb. RWT Grande Whole Milk Mozzarella for $28.28.

VR

Iverson

Offline dbsoccer

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 04:29:31 PM »
I just called Vern's (1-920-849-7717) about East Coast Blend. (It's not on their web site)  Their price is a $3.59 per pound in a minimum of 5 lbs. The shipping for 5 pounds was approximated at $15 bringing the total per pound cost to $6.60. Relative to high end mozzarella cheeses (not Grande) in the local markets this is still less costly. I guess this is not a bad option if you can forget the shipping cost relative to the price of the product.