Author Topic: Authentic Italian Style  (Read 2099 times)

Offline PizzaManic

Authentic Italian Style
« on: August 26, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
Hi Guys
I don't know if the Subject Of this post is appropriate and I myself don't truly know what Authentic Italian Style really is but here is what i am looking for.

I want a pizza with the following characteristics.

1) Must be around 0.3-0.35Cm thick.
2) The crust of the pizza should be crispy. I will be using a screen.
3) The pizza should have a slightly chewy texture.
4) The base of the pizza should have a somewhat noticeable flavor to it.
5) If possible and not a must, it should have a slightly thick rim.

I hope this has been posted to the correct section and if not, please move it.

Everyones input especially Petezza's would be greatly appreciated

Regards
PizzaManic

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Authentic Italian Style
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 11:30:28 AM »
PizzaManic,

By "Authentic Italian Style", do you mean authentic Neapolitan style or possibly something else? As you may know, an authentic Neapolitan style pizza uses a 00 flour and a very high temperature oven, for example, one that can deliver more than 800 degrees F. Since you now have a 13" pizza screen, is that the size of pizza you want to make?

Apart from the above issues, designing a dough formulation to features and characteristics of a dough skin or crust is very difficult to do, especially if some of the features and characteristics are contradictory. Also, semantics can also be an issue because descriptors like "crispy" and "chewy" and "slightly chewy" can mean different things to different people. Even terms like "thick" and "thin" can mean different things to different people. It is also difficult to design a dough formulation to produce a dough skin that has a certain thickness in the middle and a different one at the rim. Those are factors that are usually dealt with in the shaping process. And that can vary widely from one person to another based on the condition of the dough (e.g., extensibility) and the shaping and stretching skills of the person forming the skin. 

Maybe I will have some specific ideas once you elaborate further on what you are trying to do. In the meantime, maybe someone else will have a dough formulation or other ideas to pass on to you.

Peter

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 03:29:47 AM »
Hi Pete
I understand 100% what you mean so i will try my best to clarify things.

This Idea of such a Pizza came from a Pizzeria locally.
It is a 1 man band but his Pizza's are tasty.

I can't find the appropriate words to describe this type of Pizza but I will try my best in doing so.

1) The skin firstly is whitish in colour before and after baking.
2) It is baked in a Wood Fired Oven
3) The entire Pizza is about 0.3-0.35Cm thick.
4) The crust has a slight degree of crisp to it but overall the pizza is on the "Chewy" side.
5) The flavor of the crust is a little hard to explain. I would prefer to maybe add a butter flavor to the crust and substitute Honey for Sugar. That might kick up the flavor a bit.
6) Well 13 Inches is not the ideal size I would want to make since I would like to first try out a few different recipes on a small scale to benchmark against my preference.
7) With regards to having different thicknesses at each end of the Pizza, I think we can ignore that for now. I would first like to start of with a basic recipe and then build upon it from there.

If there's anything else that needs clarity, please let me know

Thanks
Kind Regards
PizzaManic

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 10:15:26 AM »
PM,

What you describe does not ring a bell with me in terms of a possible dough formulation. Would it be possible to take and post some photos so that we can get a better idea as to what you are talking about and what the pizza looks like? Even then, I may not be of much help since I don't have a wood fired oven against which to relate my experience. Moreover, if you plan to use a pizza screen in your standard home oven, you will not get the same results or product.

Peter

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:23:18 AM »
Hi Pete
I know its difficult to understand my request
If I were in your position, I wouln't know what Im talking about either.
It is difficult to describe since I can't equate it to any stores that you might know of.

Never the less I will definately take pics the next time I eat there.
I know that I will then be able to explain it to you much easier.

Thanks
Kind Regards
PizzaManic
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:09:38 AM by PizzaManic »

pizzapan