Author Topic: Great Lake, Chicago  (Read 1304 times)

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
Great Lake, Chicago
« on: July 05, 2009, 01:25:01 AM »
Alan Richman controversy aside the man may be on to something.

I recently went on another pizza journey. Maybe not as long as the one to Phoenix but 800 miles to Chicago is still no walk in the park. I know Pizzeria Bianco has it's fan's and also naysayers but for me Bianco sets the bar. Dare I say Great Lake was at the same level. Also in describing this type of pizza the closest comparison would be Chris Bianco's pizza's. I pretty much ordered the pizza's offered on the night I was there. For those interested see link below as I have not mastered uploading photos here.
http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=110472678781

Another point I think is worth noting. After reading some recent reviews of Great Lake on Yelp I am baffled by the perception some people have. I'm sure readers of this site are aware of the many opinions the general public have regarding pizza. It's simple food, I want it in 20 minutes, I want to choose the toppings, How hard can it be to make? And most of all... My choice of pizza style is the best. I believe Nick Lessins and Lydia Esparza are doing their very own interpretation and doing it very well.
Seems many Yelp reviewers also have many theories and suggestions on what is the best method to handle the onslaught of business they have due to the recent press. First on my visit I seen no sign of chaos or unfriendly service. I walked in with a positive attitude, expressed I was glad to be there and allowed them to do what they do best. I'm a firm believer that in most cases you get treated as you treat others and its no different in any service industry. Nick Lessins and Lydia Esparza could not have been nicer people in that regard.
They have my utmost respect as there is no doubt in my mind they very well could have jumped at the opportunity to ride the tidal wave of Richman's article. Put in a three deck oven, hire a few kids at minimum wage and pump out a mediocre product from noon to midnight. Very many business owners would have. But if so they would defeat the very reason why their product won such high praise from Richman and customers in the first place.

I highly recommend!

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: Great Lake, Chicago
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:00:21 AM »
Ed Levine's review is like a back-handed compliment.
Let them eat pizza.