Author Topic: Grande whole milk keeps coming out rubbery.  (Read 1549 times)

Offline jasonmtcsn

Grande whole milk keeps coming out rubbery.
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:44:34 PM »
I've been trying to get Grande cheese for quite some time now, and I finally scored a case of it(they won't break the cases). It did have the buttery flavor, but this cheese is also very rubbery. Is this the way it's supposed to be? I did freeze it, and I know it's not supposed to be frozen, but I didn't have a choice. Could that of had some effect on it, or is GWM normally like this?

Offline Puzzolento

Re: Grande whole milk keeps coming out rubbery.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:08:54 AM »
This sounds like the result I got with 50/50. Come to think of it, all the Grande cheese I've tried has been a little rubbery.

You can get buttery flavor with Belgioiso scamorza, but I don't think they sell a shredded version.

Offline jasonmtcsn

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 09:37:48 PM »
Thanks Puzzolento. I was thinking about trying some 50/50, and the ECB too. I was crossing it with another mozz to lower the rubbery factor, but then the Grande ended up molding on me. And I had to throw it away.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 11:08:40 PM »
I use Costco mozzarella and GFS provolone. It's wonderful. I am going to try Belgioioso provolone, since they sell it at Costco. I don't think it will make a difference. The mozzarella seems to be the hard thing to get right.

Offline Aldo

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »
All,

I totally agree on the "rubbery" thing.  Yes, Grande's 50/50 is noticeably "rubbery."  While I do like it, that rubbery quality does serve as somewhat of a negative factor.  While some degree of rubberiness is desired, I think, in any pizza cheese, too much rubberiness -- to the point that it makes yo gaga a little when you swallow it  -- is bad.  Thanks for mentioning that -- I concur!

As to whether Grande 50/50 is TOO rubbery, though, I can't yet say.  I still really like it.  Frankly, I'd rather have some rubberiness than a noticeable lack of it -- which I think is true for the Costco grated mozzarella bags. in fact, as I write this, I am having a reheated stufed slice -- not too much rubberiness.  I like the Grande 50/50.

Also, jasonmtcsn, you'll note that Costco adds "natamycin (a natural mold inhibitor)" to its product.  Grande's 50/50 is just plain straight cheese -- probably why the mold.  (So, on your implied suggestion, I just tossed one of my Grande 50/50 bags on the freezer!)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:56:39 AM by Aldo »

Offline ZitosPizzaAZ

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 12:03:44 PM »
This sounds like the result I got with 50/50. Come to think of it, all the Grande cheese I've tried has been a little rubbery.

You can get buttery flavor with Belgioiso scamorza, but I don't think they sell a shredded version.

Have you been able to find any buttery flavor that is in the shredded version?  I'll use plain old mozzarella but am looking for a good provolone to mix it in with.  How would you guys rate Belgioso has it solved any of your "rubbery" problems?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 01:09:51 PM »
Belgioso melts ok and is super rubbery after the cool down.  I've stop using it but it's not bad and it's inexpensive.   I have found that Trader joe's whole milk mozz melts much better, better flavor, and way less rubbery after the cool down.