Author Topic: Alternatives to mozzarella? Don't kill me! LOL  (Read 9109 times)

Offline Pizza Pig

Alternatives to mozzarella? Don't kill me! LOL
« on: August 29, 2009, 02:53:43 PM »
I think mozzarella is tasteless. I would like to try a new cheese but have no clue which one. I remember eating this pizza that had cheese that smelt like dirty socks, but it tasted great. That place no loner exists.

What cheese/combo would you recommend that has great flavor/aroma?  :chef:

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: Alternatives to mozzarella? Don't kill me! LOL
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 03:19:38 PM »
I have been using a Mozzarella/Provolone combo lately and it does taste great.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 05:11:02 PM »
Some of the greek pizza places in my area use white chedder and mozz. mixed.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 10:56:50 AM »
Some favorite stinky, yummy cheeses around here as of late include caciocavallo, fontina, fontinella, Fina (or aged Primo Sale), as these are available locally and not priced thru the roof.  A stronger flavored white cheddar, brick, or provolone might also fit the bill as already mentioned.  Just keep in mind that the same name cheeses can taste very different depending on brand, county/area of origin, length of aging, source of milk, etc.  Fontinella is the exception as it is US made pretty much only by Stella/Saputo and often available at large groceries.
Mix with mozz like Essen to find the flavor and texture you like, and eat lots of test pizzas!

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 08:54:53 PM »
Gruyere can be a good choice.  I like it on pesto based pizzas in blobs on top of a more traditional thin layer of mozz/prov.  Not particularly stinky though.  But the price could drive one out of business - so maybe there's something there  :D.

Offline RichPugh

• I'll bet you $1 I can get you to gamble today...
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 04:35:51 PM »
I think mozzarella is tasteless. I would like to try a new cheese but have no clue which one. I remember eating this pizza that had cheese that smelt like dirty socks, but it tasted great. That place no loner exists.

What cheese/combo would you recommend that has great flavor/aroma?  :chef:

I also believe mozz requires some "help" to pleasure my tastebuds... Stick to Mozzarella for the main cheese (usually a nice whole milk low moisture has enough salt and fat to give some flavor) but sprinkle some fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano after a light drizzle of fruity EV olive oil and you'll be happy :) It's especially needed when using fresh mozz... there is just no salt or fat there.

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 04:44:52 PM »
I sometimes add a bit of Romano to the Mozza and parm.  The Romano is a bit stinky, but good stinky.

Jack

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
One of my absolute favorite pizza combo's connsited of simply Mozz, with gorgonzola, and Genoa salami on it.

one of higher-end places i worked at 20 years ago used a 5-sheese blend of Provolone, Mozz, Romano, Parmesan, with a touch of cheddar for color. it was a good combo.

A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 08:47:36 PM »
Try a 50/50 mix of whole milk Mozz and Wiscinsin Brick.  I used that a lot until the local supermarket chain stopped having the Brick made for them. :(
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"

Offline Polymandius

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 09:46:19 PM »
Pig, you may like to try a little Monterey Jack in your cheese mix. I sometimes use it all by itself, but really, it doesn't have the same elasticity as mozzarella, nor does it cook quite the same. A mix of Moz & Monterrey or Provolone may give that little extra something you are looking for.

I understand where you are coming from. A pizza with only Moz lacks in cheeziness for me too.

And if you are ready for something completely different... shred in some Smoked Gouda. Oh so luscious!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 12:51:38 AM »
I remember eating this pizza that had cheese that smelt like dirty socks, but it tasted great. 

Here's an idea.  Take your mozzarella and wrap in a dirty sock.  Cold ferment for 3-6 days until puffy.  Top your pie, bake, and enjoy.  :-D

you can cut half munster or provolone into the mozz for a saltier cheese.  I have also grated asiago or aged white  cheddar in with parmesano and or romano for a 4 cheese pizza.  Delicious. 

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 09:03:08 AM »
Scamorza.
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 09:41:22 AM »
fontina

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 09:58:14 AM »
Add some good Gorgonzola to your cheese blend. An appetizer we have at a restaurant is wood roasted, caramelized apple and onion, with pecans and Gorgonzola.....to die for.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 10:20:56 AM »
Queso Asadero

Oxaca

Provolone

Fontinella

Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 02:56:15 PM »
If you're up to the task, smoke some mozzarella and try that on your pizza. It will definitely give you a flavor boost.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline PizzaNick

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 04:02:25 PM »
Ive been using almost all sharp white cheddar lately and im really liking it.  tried it after following normas macks pizza posts. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 05:10:38 PM »
Ive been using almost all sharp white cheddar lately and im really liking it.  tried it after following normas macks pizza posts. 

PizzaNick,

I am happy you like the taste of the sharp white cheddar.  I also like the white cheddar on pizzas.  We're still trying to figure out what brand of white cheddar to try on the Mack's pizza.  Their pizza has a really different taste for the cheese.  I never thought before posting on the NJ Boardwalk thread that White Cheddar would taste so good on a pizza.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PizzaNick

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 06:12:44 PM »
i hadnt really thought of it before then either, but all the pictures in those threads looked soo good i had to try it, and im glad i did.  and the first time i tried it, one of the things that stood out to me is that it almost instantly gave me a taste of the Monical's thin crust pizza that i grew up eating too.  ive made it recently since finding tips here, but had always used mozz or a mostly mozz/provolone mix and it just didnt have quite the same taste i remembered.  the first time i made a pie with just the white cheddar, i instantly got the taste of Monical's, so i have to guess there was a good amount of white cheddar in their mix as well.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 07:08:05 PM »
i hadnt really thought of it before then either, but all the pictures in those threads looked soo good i had to try it, and im glad i did.  and the first time i tried it, one of the things that stood out to me is that it almost instantly gave me a taste of the Monical's thin crust pizza that i grew up eating too.  ive made it recently since finding tips here, but had always used mozz or a mostly mozz/provolone mix and it just didnt have quite the same taste i remembered.  the first time i made a pie with just the white cheddar, i instantly got the taste of Monical's, so i have to guess there was a good amount of white cheddar in their mix as well.

PizzaNick,

Steve (Ev) had made 3 great Greek pizzas for me at market a few weeks ago and he used mostly all white cheddar.  I think he miss placed all the notes he took on what he did with the pizzas, so that is why he didn't post on what happened. He did take pictures and edges were great. They all were delicious.  I think he tried three different formulas. When I had eaten pizza before I became of member of this forum, I never would have thought white cheddar would taste so good on a pizza. 

Great to hear you got the taste of Monical's with the white cheddar,  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!