Author Topic: I bow to the master!!!!  (Read 2351 times)

Offline bigpix

I bow to the master!!!!
« on: February 20, 2005, 10:50:39 PM »
After spending some quality time in Central Park enjoying The Gates my wife, daughter and I made our way way downtown to the original, Lombardi's. I ahd to wonder what people were thinking when they talked about the pies not being as good as they used to be. I had nothing to compare my pie tonight to but let me tell you folks, this is the real freaking deal. I was happy to have to wait for twenty minutes or so as I gave me a chance to look at lots and lots of great pies. I warned my companions that we were getting at least a large, plain pie. I explained the whole benchmark thing and we pondered the tastes to come as we all quite aware of the Romano cheese being served. I am not a cheese person but I have been thinking of adding some to my pies. I won't for now since it would only mask the taste or lack of taste of my dough.
We stood near the door watching happy eaters and folks walking out. I saw more than a couple of looks on guys faces who knew that they had just experienced one of those rare  super pie nights. Now it was our turn.
The ladies ordered a roasted portobello shroom which I was happy to see since it meant one thing, MORE PIE FOR ME!!!!!  I sipped my Sam Adams anxiously awaiting the pie which shortly came. Using the knife and fork provided we jumped on that bad boy as I enjoyed a very wide slice covered with cheese with a nearly two inch dark beige crust. This was going to be great. It was!!!!
This is what I call an Old World pie. Classic in it's simple basic mixture of ingredients. The crust was perfectly done. It was tasty and moist and crusty with losts of ever so slight charring underneath. The sauce was really just tomatoes that I could taste and see. Very very basic but nicely tasty. The cheese was moist and tasty and I enjoyed the added flavor of the romano very much. That along with the fresh basil brought it all together. This is not a sauce based pie in my opinion. It's more a crust and cheese pie which it originally was. I had three and a half slices and can't wait to go back again. Next time maybe two   smaller ones with some sausage and who knows?
I've now been to John's, Joe's and Lombardi's. I think that Joe's has the best of them in a more NY Style than the other two. Both types of pie from Joe's was better to me. But then I think back at that pie tonight at Lombardi's and it was good you know. Hmmmmmmmm. Next time Patsy's?

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: I bow to the master!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 07:34:12 AM »
I gotta get to NYC!!! And soon!!!  ;D
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 12:16:32 PM »
I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that the reports of Lombardi's demise may be greatly exaggerated.  When I ate there back in 2000, it was by far the best pizza I've ever had--and remains so to this day.

Steve, when you make it to NYC, you will think you've died and gone to pizza heaven ;)

Dave

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 03:16:57 AM »
i was just there in December and had Lombardi's, Grimaldi's, and John's of Bleeker Street.

Lombardi's was freakin amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P :P :P

pizzapan