Author Topic: Non refrigerated pizza  (Read 3159 times)

Offline blackhatbrigade

Non refrigerated pizza
« on: August 31, 2009, 10:40:40 AM »
First, I'd like to say that this forum rocks.  I did the PJ clone and it was the best homemade pizza I'd ever made (the second time it was made  :angel: ).  However, I've been fighting to keep enough refrigerator space to make enough of them for friends and family.  I came to the conclusion I'd rather do a non-refrigerated pizza dough.

Now, I loved the PJ clone, but I'll understand if I can't get exactly like that without refrigeration (I really don't know what the difference would be).  What's the closest I can get to the PJ Clone without the refrigerator?  (I've been a little afraid to try that recipe without the frig, would that work?)

Thanks again!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Non refrigerated pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:41:02 AM »
blackhaatbrigade,

There are several dough formulations on the forum that are referred to as Papa John's clones. Which one did you try? And how did it compare with the real thing?

Peter

Offline blackhatbrigade

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 04:31:50 PM »
Pete-zza's PJ Clone is the recipe I used (oh, yours  :) ).  I had to play with the amount of sauce I used, but other than that it came out very well (with the 1/3 tsp of IDY, the first recipe never rose for me).  The second one I saw rising the same night I made it and on day 3 it was used.

Unfortunately, it's been a while since I had a PJ pizza and there are none around me, so I couldn't say how exactly it matched PJ.  From memory it tastes the same though.

Was just wondering if there was a way to make it, have it sit out for rising (non refridgerated) and then cook.  I wouldn't even mind if it deviated some from PJ's, as long as it was kinda close.  But I'm not sure if that's possible.  I'd classify myself as a novice pizza cook, so I get a little overwhelmed at some of these recipes  ;)

Thanks for your time!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 05:35:48 PM »
blackhatbrigade,

You did well if you were able to make the PJ clone on the second try. To get the long, cold fermentation version of the PJ clone dough right requires very careful execution. That isn't always easy for people who are new to pizza making or don't fully appreciate the highly technical nature of a real PJ dough. That is unavoidable when you consider that PJ makes its dough in commissaries and delivers the dough balls to over 3000 stores and the dough balls have to arrive there in proper condition and be usable thereafter for several more days. That is hard to do.

I did a fair amount of experimentation with room-temperature fermented PJ clone doughs. Making a change from a long cold fermentation to room temperature fermentation will usually manifest itself in a somewhat different product, although in my experience the finished pizzas are still quite good. You might want to take a look at the room-temperature versions of the PJ clones at Reply 24 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg59357.html#msg59357, Reply 30 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg59762.html#msg59762, and Reply 52 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg66312.html#msg66312. It is important to keep in mind that room-temperature fermented doughs can be tricky to make because of variations in room temperature. That means that a dough recipe used in summer will have to be modified to be used in the winter. The exact same recipe generally can't be used for both seasons. Temperature issues are not a problem with the "emergency" dough clone discussed in Reply 52 referenced above.

If you decide to try one or more of the above versions, I hope you will let us know how things turn out.

Peter

Offline blackhatbrigade

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 11:46:12 PM »
Thank you yet again.

As for the careful execution and precision you talked about, I'd have to say I had a strong streak of dumb irish luck (which is something really, I'm not even Irish  ::) ).  I will definitely try those out and leave a more appropriately located message (at the end of the post to which it was relevant). 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 09:54:04 AM »
blackhatbrigade,

There is no harm posting your results in this thread. If you can post photos too, so much the better.

Peter