Author Topic: Cutting the cheese....  (Read 1724 times)

Offline bigpix

Cutting the cheese....
« on: February 20, 2005, 11:15:28 PM »
I mean, how do you folks cut your mozz? I don't like slices that are thin then thick. How about putting it in the freezer for a bit before slicing?
Mine usually winds up getting shredded.

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
Re: Cutting the cheese....
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 02:52:56 AM »
i always have the guy at the deli cut it for me ... that way its consistent :)

your freezer idea sounds good.. sometimes when i end up with a big chunk and try to cut it myself i cant even get 1 slice, it just crumbles and i end up with chunks.

Offline bigpix

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 10:49:52 AM »
Not being a cheese eating guy I never thought about purchasing cheese at the deli counter. I'll try that next time along with some fresh handmade mozz and going to try a pit of Romano as well next time.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 11:01:53 AM »
The deli counter is also a good place to get provolone cheese if you wish to blend it with the mozzarella cheese. One thing about sliced deli cheese is that it can also be converted to rough shreds if desired. When I do this, I stack a few (or as many as you can handle) of the deli slices on top of each other and use a sharp knife to julienne the stack into thin strips and then cut the julienned strips crosswise a few times to "shred" them. If you want something along the lines of dice, you just keep cutting the shreds. 

Peter

Offline bigpix

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 12:23:10 PM »
I'd probably just buy shredded cheese then. I like the melting of slices but have yet to be successful in slicing the mozz.

pizzapan