Author Topic: September 2009 Monthly Challenge: "Dessert Pizzas"  (Read 18130 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
September 2009 Monthly Challenge: "Dessert Pizzas"
« on: August 31, 2009, 01:12:55 PM »
As the topic heading says, the September 2009 Monthly Challenge is Dessert Pizzas.

Peter

Offline JimmyMak

Re: September 2009 Monthly Challenge: "Dessert Pizzas"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 06:46:56 PM »
Having fun making & eating dessert pizzas. Our family & guests definitely have a sweet tooth. This is our Bananas Foster dessert pizza.

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 07:20:30 PM »
JimmyMak,

That looks pretty good.

Offline pacoast

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 07:56:42 PM »
Uh oh, time to make tiramisu pizza again.

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 12:06:59 AM »
JimmyMak;
I think you've definitely hit a home run with that banana foster desert pizza.  Will ingredients and procedure be forthcoming ??? ???
I sure hope so ;D
Buffalo

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 07:27:51 AM »
well, here are 2 i always make with left over dough....

we always serve them with vanilla ice cream.

foto N_01 is dark chocolate and cream
foto N_02 is nutela, strawberries and cream.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline JimmyMak

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 07:01:35 PM »
Buffalo,                                                                                                                                   
here,s the recipe
Pre-bake crusts. They will return to the oven for a very little time after topped.
Topping:
2-3 ripe bananas, sliced
3TBS. butter
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1tsp. cinnamon
1/2tsp. nutmeg
2TBS. lemon juice
Melt butter in small frying pan over low/med heat. Add brown sugar and spices, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Watch; do not burn. Add lemon juice. Add bananas and stir gently until coated with syrup. Pour over pre-baked shell. Heat 30 to 40 seconds without flame in WFO. Top with icing (powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla syrup). Cut into 12 slices and enjoy.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 08:28:22 AM »
JimmyMak,
Your Bananas Foster Dessert Pizza looks great!  :) I sure could eat a slice of that for breakfast!
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 08:37:16 AM »
I made this fruit dessert pizza yesterday.  Sorry I forgot to take a picture after I applied the drizzled icing.  Maybe will try another dessert pizza next week.  3rd picture is one a made about a month ago with icing.
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 10:25:54 AM »
Hey JerryMak;
You "da man"...Thanks for the recipe, I am really looking forward to trying it ;D :P
Buffalo

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 10:29:14 AM »
Hey JimmyMak;
Sorry about the "JerryMak"...You still "da man". :)
Buffalo

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »
Peter,

Papa John's accepts your challenge and submits the following entry.

http://www.papajohns.com/menu/side_cinnapie.shtm

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 09:21:37 PM »
November,

I am sure you noticed but, for the benefit of the members, there is also an Applepie (http://www.papajohns.com/menu/side_applepie.shtm). It and the Cinnapie are sold in "sticks", with a serving size of 4 sticks and three servings per container. Both versions look and sound quite tasty.

Peter

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »
Peter,

I am sure you noticed but, for the benefit of the members, there is also an Applepie (http://www.papajohns.com/menu/side_applepie.shtm).

Yes, but today was the first day I witnessed a television commercial for the Cinnapie.  In fact, when I first saw the commercial I thought that maybe you knew something the rest of the non- Papa John's clone initiating world didn't.  I bet there's been a Cinnapie in your pizza box avatar for the past week.

- red.november

EDIT: Both the Applepie and Cinnapie were introduced in 2003, so I guess neither qualify under strict challenge rules.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:38:41 PM by November »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »
Not a pizza per say but something I grew up on in my Sicilian housedhold.  In our town in Sicily they call this "cosa che pasoli".  I made some yesterday in the WFO with leftover pizza dough.

Matt
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:29:46 PM by Matthew »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »
The photos below represent my submission to the September 2009 Dessert Pizza challenge. The pizza is a mango-peach pizza.

For the dough, I decided to use a Papa Gino's clone dough. I selected that dough because one of its characteristics is that the crust, when baked on a pizza screen at around 450-475 degrees F, will be on the light side in terms of color. Also, it can have a tendency to produce a gumline, which I considered to be equivalent to the pastiness of a fruit pie. In those respects, I wanted the pizza to think that it was really a pie rather than a pizza. The dough I used was a two-day cold fermented dough, enough for a 12" pizza.

The assembly of the pizza was as follows, using a 12" pizza screen to assemble the pizza. I started by brushing pure maple syrup over the skin (12") and sprinkled cinnamon over the skin. I then added slices of mango and peach. The mangoes and peaches I used (two of each, average size) were fresh and were simply peeled, sliced and sauted in a skillet, along with some sugar, pure maple syrup, pure vanilla, fresh lemon juice, and some Ronrico Golden Puerto Rican rum, and cooked until slightly translucent yet still firm. I was careful not to mangle (mango?) the fruit slices as I sauteed them because I wanted to arrange them in accordance with some pattern. I am not particularly artistic, so I used a simple concentric pattern, trying to alternate the peach and mango slices as best I could (they tend to look a lot alike). Once the mango and peach slices were positioned on the pizza, I brushed them with more pure maple syrup and the fond (pan juices) from my saute pan.

After dressing the pizza, it was baked, on the screen, on the lowest oven position. I had preheated the oven for about a half hour at around 450-475 degrees F. The pizza was baked for about 6 minutes and then raised to the uppermost oven rack position to get a bit more top crust color--mainly to get it a bit on the golden brown side much like a pie.

I wasn't exactly sure how I wanted the bottom of the crust to be. So, I sampled a slice. Much like a pie, the crust was soft and slightly chewy, but not crispy. I then placed the pizza back into the oven, on the lowest oven rack position, without the screen, for another minute or so. That made the bottom crust crispy. I concluded that I could live with either version but I actually preferred the second version with the crispier bottom crust. After making and eating as many pizzas as I have, I guess it is hard to break old habits.

I thought the pizza was delicious, with a nice harmony of flavors and aromas. I ate my slices with a Hawaiian Kona coffee (100% Kona), but I think the pie would go well with a scoop of mango or peach sorbet or ice cream, or possibly a scoop of cinnamon ice cream or even some whipped cream. And another round of Kona, of course.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:44:27 PM by Pete-zza »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 04:54:43 PM »
And a couple of slice pics....

Peter

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 05:53:02 PM »
An unimpeachable creation.  Go, man, go!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 02:25:21 PM »
Alsatian Apple Dessert Pizza

Honeycrisp apples on our tree are just turning ripe. Apples were peeled, cored, and sliced and lightly caramelized with some sugar. A kind of buttery pastry cream was created. Unfortunately, it was way too thin and you can see it running in the photo below before baking. Sauce got on the peel and the deck and created a bit of a cosmetic problem - disaster barely averted. The taste, however, was awesome. Next time I'll make the sauce much thicker. There will definitely be a next time.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 03:23:58 PM »
All this and a Honey Crisp tree in your yard?! I had no idea you were able to grow such a diverse group of food there Bill-kudos to you.

Pizza looks great BTW. I have a glut of Honey Crisps right now, and plan on making this. Care to share how you made the pastry cream and how you'd change it? I make a pastry cream with Tuaca that may work, but would love to hear your version.

Best,

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.