Author Topic: September 2009 Monthly Challenge: "Dessert Pizzas"  (Read 17555 times)

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: September 2009 Monthly Challenge: "Dessert Pizzas"
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2009, 06:24:14 PM »
Peter,  yours looks much better! -marc

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2009, 10:45:23 PM »
Marc,

There is just no way that a worker at Papa John's can make either the Applepie or the Cinnapie pizza look like those shown at the Papa John's website. As soon as the icing hits the hot pizza it starts to melt and disappear. The only way to make one of those pizzas look like the PJ photos is to let the pizza cool before icing, like I did. Obviously, it is impractical to do that. It does make one wonder when the deceptive advertising line is crossed.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2009, 10:58:02 PM »
Peter,
I agree your Apple Pie PJ clone looked a lot better.  Will post a picture of your ingredients used if mine turns out okay this week.
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2009, 08:39:58 PM »
Since I had some leftover apple topping from my earlier Papa John's Applepie clone pizza effort, I decided to use it to make another clone Applepie pizza but using the Cinnamon Spread this time instead of the oat-based spread that I had earlier used. The Cinnamon Spread is a streusal topping with brown sugar but without oats, and, as best I can tell, appears to be a topping that is used at some PJ stores, and possibly many of the PJ stores, for the Applepie pizza. I believe that normally the Cinnamon Spread is used for the Cinnapie pizzas. As before, the icing was applied after the pizza had cooled down. From a taste standpoint, I would say that the latest clone pizza was closer to the one I bought from PJs yesterday. I think it is a very tasty pizza and one that someone might make if they are not fond of oats on a pizza.

Peter

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2009, 10:15:57 AM »
Although I did not get a pic of it I wanted to share a dessert pizza I made Sunday since it was really good, and very easy.

Cannoli Pizza-

I baked a crust, and when it came out I spread it with cannoli filling, and garnished with chopped pistachios, and chocolate chips.

Cannoli Filling-

Fresh Ricotta (drained if too wet) sweetened to your taste with powdered sugar, and 1/2 t of vanilla extract per cup of ricotta, and a picnch of salt. Lemon or orange zest and corresponding liquer, make good add ins too. Whip until smooth.

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Jeff,

That sounds awesome. Please take photos next time. I'm definitely adding this to my "must try soon" list. Thanks!

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2009, 12:01:11 PM »
Jeff,

That sounds awesome. Please take photos next time. I'm definitely adding this to my "must try soon" list. Thanks!

Will do Bill. I made cannoli, and had left over filling when I made pizza a couple days later and... voila. Very good.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2009, 11:01:15 PM »
Peter,
My apple snitz pie sure didn't look as picture perfect as yours, but here are the pictures of the pie, using the the recipe for the oats and icing.  It was tasty though.
Thanks for the recipe!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2009, 02:32:53 PM »
My apple snitz pie sure didn't look as picture perfect as yours, but here are the pictures of the pie, using the the recipe for the oats and icing.  It was tasty though.
Thanks for the recipe!

Norma,

It took me a long time to make my PJ clone Applepie pizzas look like those shown at the PJs website. If I worked for PJs, I would have been fired after making the first Applepie pizza  :-D.

FYI, Papa John's has an option for additional icing, for about $0.75 more than the amount that comes with the basic Applepie pizza. I wouldn't be surprised if the additional icing creates a criss-cross pattern such as you used.

I believe that it is possible to use just about any apple topping and streusel topping with the basic PJ "emergency" clone dough I used and get good results. To be honest, I couldn't tell a lot of difference between the crust made from PJ's several day old dough and one made using the emergency clone dough.

Peter

pizzapan