Author Topic: My ideal pizza  (Read 3063 times)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: My ideal pizza
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 02:42:25 PM »
It is worth remembering also that individual claims to authenticity (pizzerias, organizations) are sometimes self-serving and not made with furtherance of the tradition in mind.

From the image offered,I would agree that this is the case here and is the reason I find it appalling.I personally find that sufficient evidence to criticize the execution of it and draw attention to that.Champagne is Champagne as they say and remains so because of upholding traditions.
From your comments it would seem that you accept mediocrity and have little respect for maintaining such traditions? Be that as it may,I see no reason why new members of the Forum should be misled into believing that what he was sold was  as you said

it looks pretty good and appears an honest attempt to make a good, Neapolitan-style pizza.

With respect, we have wildly different opinions on what "looks pretty good".The honest attempts of many amateur board members here far exceed the quality of this commercial operation IMO,and would offer a better starting point for him if Neapolitan Pizza is really what he is looking for?
I tend to think Craig may be better of searching the Roman Style threads ( and Flickr photos from some of the renowned pizzerias in Italy ) to get a better understanding of styles,characteristics and definitions.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline clcardell

• The Right Stuff BBQ
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 03:09:54 PM »
craig, your BBQ look delicious . my son and i just returned from antica and learned allot about Neapolitan pizza . you will enjoy it, and jose the main pizza trainer is very dedicated and knowledgeable . i will be a great learning experience . one other suggestion is go to the members section and read past posts in the Neapolitan section as well as other forum areas . there are some real knowledgeable members here and the amount of info you can pick up is amazing . some of the top Neapolitan pizza restaurants are represented on this forum.

Thanks!  We are excited about the trip and hope to learn a lot from Jose.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 03:14:42 PM »
Here is a link to a good Blog page that  spotlights some of the better pizzerias in Naples and gives you a quick side by side comparison of each.It is quickly evident than certain characteristics are common among all,and should be used as a benchmark if Neapolitan is what you are looking for?

http://www.alifewortheating.com/italy/a-pizza-tour-of-naples/

To me it is not about being a "purist".If you don't like Neapolitan (and many don't ? ) then seek out Roman,New York style, etc.etc.but please don't change what is a defined style and still maintain to call it what it no longer is.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Mo

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 03:59:07 PM »
From the image offered,I would agree that this is the case here and is the reason I find it appalling.I personally find that sufficient evidence to criticize the execution of it and draw attention to that.

As is your prerogative.

From your comments it would seem that you accept mediocrity and have little respect for maintaining such traditions?

Easy there, bud. Let's not get carried away. You have yet to demonstrate in any intelligible fashion that "tradition" and "authenticity" are anything but subjective. Assume what you want about mediocre me, but I also have little respect for poorly conceived and executed semantic arguments.

With respect, we have wildly different opinions on what "looks pretty good".

I was referring to the sauce, cheese, basil. But you knew that, right? In any case, I have no doubt that different opinions exist.