Author Topic: Sysco Foods Carrying Caputo??  (Read 3451 times)

Offline Mo

Sysco Foods Carrying Caputo??
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:06:26 PM »
I just heard an interesting rumor that Sysco Foods might be carrying 25 kilo sacks of Caputo 00 as well as some brand of San Marzanos in #10s. I should know more tomorrow and I will post what I find. I think it's about time one of the big shot distributors got in the game with these products. Sourcing the Caputo 00 for food service is practically impossible unless you happen to be located on the east coast...

Offline pacoast

Re: Sysco Foods Carrying Caputo??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 01:33:54 AM »
Let us know what you find out. Also which city are we talking about? Sysco has a different product mix in various cities. No Caputo products in the Sysco catalogs for locations near me.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 04:06:25 AM »
My Sysco rep has always been able to get me Caputo - as long as I order whole pallet.  :o

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 10:37:32 AM »
the problem with cisco around here (boston) is that they double the price for cash and carry.   They want $40 for a case of escalon tomatoes.   

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 11:16:01 AM »
I didn't know Sysco had any "cash and carry" facilities..  It's been my experience that a small account, such as a caterer, has problems dealing with them

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:23:39 AM »
I didn't know Sysco had any "cash and carry" facilities..  It's been my experience that a small account, such as a caterer, has problems dealing with them

I had no problem setting myself up as a "caterer". Even got credit terms. I pick up my stuff at their warehouse at their "will call" dock.

Offline Mo

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 11:27:39 AM »
My Sysco rep has always been able to get me Caputo - as long as I order whole pallet.  :o

Interesting. I never checked with Sysco before now but I did a lot of business with US Foods as well as some of the smaller import distributors. For some reason, I just could not find a line on any outside of Chicago...

Offline pacoast

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 12:24:37 PM »
There's very little that you can't get in pallet multiples. Although the price may still be high if it's not a stocked item.

Offline Mo

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Yeah, I think this is more a question of "stocking" as opposed to "sourcing". If one of the mainline distributors were to stock the item regularly in one of their warehouses, then price, availability and lead times become much different. Waiting three weeks for a pallet and paying freight etc is different from being able to place a regular order with the rest of your products.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 05:11:17 PM »
my $40 case of california tomatoes was an in stock item.    They also wanted $38 for a bag of american flour that I have never paid more than 17 dollars for from any other wholesaler.   

Offline Mo

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 10:16:24 AM »
Finally had a chance to meet with the Sysco rep here in central Iowa and they are do in fact show Caputo 00 pizzeria flour as available. No minimum, about $50 a bag (55#).