Author Topic: Help with Crust style  (Read 1398 times)

Offline golfsferr

Help with Crust style
« on: March 06, 2010, 11:19:10 AM »
Hi all,
 I haven't been around for awhile or making pizza too often. But now I'm back and was hoping to get some assitance.
I'm looking to make a crust style that is medium thick, light in weight, crunchy on the outside but soft and chewy on the inside. Now I know that means different things to different people so I'll say Pizza Hut Pan Pizza as for as texture but not oily like theirs is. Or Buddy's from Detroit for those that are familar with it. I know most people would say those two are very different but minus the oiliness on the Pizza Hut's Pan I think they are very similar with weight and texture. I agree, taste wise they are different. I have a 2Stone pizza oven or I can use our conventional oven. At any rate, I would appreciate anyone's secrets to achieving this. Thanks. Steve

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
Re: Help with Crust style
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 10:24:56 AM »
Well, both pies you mention are baked in a pan and your description sounds most like something in the Sicilian style so that may be a place to start.  The whole Sicilian Style sub forum is not all that long so you may wish to browse thru and see if any look like what you are after. 
The crunch in these pan baked pies come from oil/lube in the pan that "fries" the crust. 

Offline golfsferr

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:26:50 AM »
Thank you. I actually did that and a read many others and wasn't sure I found what I was looking for but I'll go back keeping in mind your baked comment. Thanks again. Steve

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »
Here's one idea.  You could try these two to experience a range of hydration and even try each with and without oil in the dough to start narrowing things down.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8c4a2bd44ba1bbb81dddaf5411c46f72&topic=5656.0 for 62%.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8c4a2bd44ba1bbb81dddaf5411c46f72&topic=7426.0 for 75%.  Plus here Jeff V describes making his version without the preferment to make things a bit easier http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8c4a2bd44ba1bbb81dddaf5411c46f72&topic=9952.msg86597#msg86597
I would imagine either of these could also be made same day without the refrigeration as well for experiments in crunch factor and texture, although the actual time necs to rise might be difficult to predict. 
Good Luck and post your results!

Offline golfsferr

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 01:20:33 PM »
Thanks again. I'll check this out. While I like using my 2Stone, I prefer a crust that it doesn't seem to produce. I guess that's my goal, trying to find a recipe or technique that will come close. But I'm sure you are right the more I think about it, a deep pan with oil is what those who make the kind of crust I like do. But it's fun to keep trying. Thanks again, Steve

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 02:01:08 PM »
Steve, perhaps I'm stating the obvious here, but you have seen the Buddy's thread, right?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3783.0.html

And definitely, get a pan and use a conventional oven.

Offline golfsferr

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 03:01:02 PM »
Thanks Scott I did see and read that tread. The bottom line is I just need to get a pan and use my conventional oven. And for a change of pace use the 2Stone for a more New York style pizza. Thanks, Steve

Offline golfsferr

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 10:24:28 PM »
Scott
I got the pans and found a good Pizza Hut like Thick and Chewy recipe and have attached pictures to show the results. I ended up using a fair amount of oil in the pans to help "fry" the crust. The crust turned out great. Crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. I made my own sauce with a touch of spice and ate it all, well my wife helped. I cooked it in a conventional oven at 550 degrees for about 10-12 minutes, just until the crust started to get gold on the bottom. Thanks for you help. If you want the recipe just say so.
Steve

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 10:39:55 PM »
Steve,

Based on Reply 14 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,219.msg88809/topicseen.html#msg88809, it looks like Glutenboy might be interested in the dough recipe. I, believe, however, he is looking for an authentic recipe.

Peter

pizzapan