Author Topic: New Spiced Dough Recipe---AWESOME  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
New Spiced Dough Recipe---AWESOME
« on: September 23, 2009, 09:28:47 PM »
Well, its been quite some time since I've posted.  Got REAL frustrated trying to make a good sauce.  So, anyway, this pizza turned out GREAT!!  I had to use sauce from one of our local pizza joints but other than that, this is the best one to date.  I found this recipe on the net.  I used 1 1/2 tsp IDY instead of 1/4 ounce ady, let sit overnight in the fridge, dusted with cornmeal, and baked on a stone.  I'm sure the yeast content is too high, especially since this is designed to use that day.  The dough was a tad thick, but it was great.  The spices really add to it.  Would also love to see this put into bakers % someday....?? (Hint - Petezza :)  Anyway, I'm back at it!  The second pic is a little blurry-I know. :chef:

1/4 ounce active dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
3/4 cup water, 110 degrees
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Italian spices
Directions
1-Dissolve yeast and sugar in water; allow to rest for 8 minutes.
2-In a separate bowl, combine flour and salt.
3-Pour yeast mixture over flour mixture and mix well with a heavy spoon.
4-Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
5-Working from the edges to the center, press dough into a 12" circle.
6-Place dough on a lightly greased pizza pan and stretch dough to edges.
7Add sauce and toppings of choice.
8Bake at 500 degree oven for 8-12 minutes or until edges are golden.
9Makes one 12" pizza dough.

"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: New Spiced Dough Recipe---AWESOME
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:33:24 PM »
actually, all that yeast might be needed since garlic kills yeast!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 10:22:42 PM »
Tony,

What makes it difficult to convert your recipe to baker's percents is that there are no standards for weights of garlic-pepper seasonings and Italian spices. Also, most such products do not give weight-volume conversion data on the labels. You would have to weigh one-half teaspoon of your particular brands of garlic-pepper seasoning and Italian spices and tell me what you get. I would also need to know what brand of all-purpose flour you are using and exactly how you measure out your flour volumetrically. For guidance on this, you might look at the Measurement Method in the pull-down menu of the Mass-Volume Conversion Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/ and tell me which Measurement Method most closely describes your particular flour measurement method. To the extent that it is possible to convert the recipe to baker's percent format, I would also need to know whether you would be using 1/4 teaspoon of ADY or 1 1/4 teaspoons of ADY.

With respect to the effects of garlic on yeast, it is possible to add some garlic powder or granulated garlic to the dough but, as scott r notes, you can't go overboard with it. This subject came up recently at the PMQ Think Tank where I discovered that the percent of garlic powder or granulated garlic that Tom Lehmann recommends be used is 0.15% of the weight of the formula flour. He also recommends that the garlic powder or granulated garlic be added toward the end of the dough mixing process. For related details, see this PMQ Think Tank thread: http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=53249#53249. Based on the nutrition data given for garlic powder at the nutritiondata.com website at http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/spices-and-herbs/190/2, one teaspoon of garlic powder weighs three grams. So, one-half teaspoon weighs one-and-a-half grams, or 0.053 ounces. If we assume that your 1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour weighs 7.7 ounces (using the Textbook method of flour measurement), then 0.053 ounces of garlic powder is 0.69% of that flour weight, or multiples of the quantity recommended by Tom Lehmann. Garlic used in large amounts has a softening effect on the dough. In your case, without knowing how much garlic powder or granulated garlic is in your garlic-pepper seasoning, it is hard to say whether you are over or under the prescribed limit.

Some people use garlic powder (or onion powder) to intentionally produce a softer dough, much as PZ-44 does. This use is discussed by Tom Lehmann at the PMQTT at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=41556#41556.

In your list of steps, did you place the dough in the refrigerator between steps 4 and 5?

Peter
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:37:43 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I didnt follow the instructions exactly.  Yes, I put her in the frisge between 4 and 5.  I used cornmeal instead of flour and I baked on my stone instead of pan.  I will have to measure out the garlic powder and spices and see what I come up with.  I also used KABF instead of AP.  I used 1 1/2 tsp IDY instead of any ADY.
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

pizzapan