Author Topic: Mccaffrey's Dolce Vita-Decorah, Iowa  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Mo

Mccaffrey's Dolce Vita-Decorah, Iowa
« on: September 06, 2009, 10:04:33 AM »
This place has had a lot of buzz here in Iowa due to a couple of features run by the Des Moines Register. If you listen to the story in the link below, it leads you to think that there is something special going on.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090315/MULTIMEDIA/90312024

After eating there last night, the only thing special about the place is how Horrifically Bad the pizza was and what a Major Disappointment the entire experience was. Paper thin crust rolled out with a rolling pin, with the cheapest mozz, Boy R Dee tasting sauce and other ingredients tossed into the very cool hand built fire brick oven all produced a pizza with a burnt edge (not pleasantly charred, burnt), and soft/raw toppings in the middle, very heavy and disgusting, really. Nothing at all redeeming about the crust. I asked the guy working the oven (owners son) about the thin crust and if they intended no leaven to the crust at all (it had NONE), he said yes because it was all organic flour, blah blah blah...

Man, it was just terrible. It's really unfortunate because the location is unbelievable (tough to get to but tucked into the hills outside Decorah next to a stream).

Another example of people with No Experience thinking they can run a successful restaurant because they like to eat out. It was all wrong from the git-go. If you are thinking of making the trip to try this place, just don't bother. You'll only be disappointed. On the other hand, this place was so Spectacularly Awful that you may want to try it just to have a story to tell...

Offline Parttimepizzaiolo

• Part-Time Pizzaiolo
Re: Mccaffrey's Dolce Vita-Decorah, Iowa
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:10:54 AM »
That's a real shame.  The place looks awesome enough.  The video is cool too.  Like you said, as soon as I saw the rolling pin I thought wtf?  Does the place do good business?  Have there been any reviews of it in the local paper?  What did that guy spend on the restaurant?  It is impressive.

Offline Mo

Re: Mccaffrey's Dolce Vita-Decorah, Iowa
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
That's a real shame.  The place looks awesome enough.  The video is cool too.  Like you said, as soon as I saw the rolling pin I thought wtf?  Does the place do good business?  Have there been any reviews of it in the local paper?  What did that guy spend on the restaurant?  It is impressive.

Yeah, it's been awhile since I read the print review in the Register but I think they liked it. I will have to go back and look. We were there at 5:30-6:00 on a Saturday night and didn't have to wait but it did fill up. I knew something was wrong when I saw the wings and thai chicken salad crap on the menu. It just immediately had the amateur feel to it from the interior furnishings (tho the building is cool) to the menu layout, menu choices, unsupervised service staff etc. and did I mention yet how awful the food was? I don't know what they spent on the place but it is a shame, all the same...

pizzapan