Author Topic: Cure times for a new WFO  (Read 138 times)

Offline Bisonbrew

• Make Beer. Make Pizza. Repeat.
    • Bison Organic Beer
Cure times for a new WFO
« on: August 27, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
I'm happy to report that I'm getting close to finishing my backyard WFO following the fantastic "I ordered a WFO" thread in which forum moderator Tscarborough walks us through his build.  I ended up with a 36" ID, 15.5" tall WFO which I'm pretty happy with.

How long does the oven need to cure before heating it up?  I think I read somewhere that I need to step up the temperature over several fires over X weeks/days to dry out the oven in a way to prevent cracking due to steam expansion.  (But I can't find that thread again!!) Would two weeks be a reasonable time for the moisture to cure in the mortar joints of the dome and chimney?  I used the std home-brew mortar mix

I finished the interior dome Aug 15, and the chimney Aug 23.  I lit a small fire and checked that it draws fine (yes it does!) but the fire never got an oven thermometer over 130 F.  Last night, I added the exterior perlite/cement insulation, and plan to finish the top insulation later today.  I'll wait a couple weeks to do the stucco exterior

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Cure times for a new WFO
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 08:49:52 PM »
Loos great!  Start burning long low fires, what you are trying to do is not really "curing" the oven, but removing the free moisture in the masonry.  You want to avoid rapid thermal shock, so just start with a small fire and over a period of hours build it up.  By the third or 4th fire, you should be able to use it for pizza, just remember to build the heat up slowly over a period of hours until it is totally dry.

P.S.  The oven was built for Jetdeck (Gene) I have a barrel vault.

Offline dineomite

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:06:07 PM »
 ^^^

Just take it slow. Much of it depends on how much moisture is in the masonry. I had quite a bit because I had wet burlap on the outside as I laid the brick. Four gradually increasing fires should do the trick. Even afterward you'll notice that it gets easier to fire up as you go.

Offline mrmikemgm

• Lifetime Member
  • Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing!
    • Mr. Mike's BBQ Photos
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 09:54:31 AM »
I'm happy to report that I'm getting close to finishing my backyard WFO following the fantastic "I ordered a WFO" thread in which forum moderator Tscarborough walks us through his build.  I ended up with a 36" ID, 15.5" tall WFO which I'm pretty happy with.

How long does the oven need to cure before heating it up?  I think I read somewhere that I need to step up the temperature over several fires over X weeks/days to dry out the oven in a way to prevent cracking due to steam expansion.  (But I can't find that thread again!!) Would two weeks be a reasonable time for the moisture to cure in the mortar joints of the dome and chimney?  I used the std home-brew mortar mix

I finished the interior dome Aug 15, and the chimney Aug 23.  I lit a small fire and checked that it draws fine (yes it does!) but the fire never got an oven thermometer over 130 F.  Last night, I added the exterior perlite/cement insulation, and plan to finish the top insulation later today.  I'll wait a couple weeks to do the stucco exterior

Very nice looking project!  Congratulations.  We too are at the "drying stage", but are delayed by some simultaneous overhead construction.  Look forward to further photos and progress reports.  Have a great weekend.
Favorite Culinary Toys
Bread Stone Ovens SP1400BR
Fast Eddy's FEC-240
CookShack CB048 Charbroiler
PolyScience Sous Vide Professional
HotMix Pro Gastro & Thermomix TM31
Mecnosud IM8M

Featured at the Casa M Bar
Jack Daniel's "CynergisTek" Barrel Select
Russel's Reserve "CynergisTek" Private Selection

pizzapan