Author Topic: my Photo Age begins, with my NY pizza pics  (Read 2526 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
my Photo Age begins, with my NY pizza pics
« on: February 21, 2005, 04:06:12 PM »
Finally!  I can contribute some pics :)

Here's my NY style pizza.  Recipe (for two 16" pizzas) as follows:

--2 lbs high-gluten flour
--20 oz. cold tap water
--1 packet IDY (about 2 1/4 teaspoons as I understand it)
--2 Tbsp Crisco vegetable oil (soybean + canola)
--2 tsp kosher sea salt
--1 1/2 Tbsp Carnation Original Malt Powder

Kneaded everything except the oil in my stand mixer for a minute or two, then added the oil.  THAT was a mistake.  The oil immediately made everything slippery and wet, and made the mixing dough ball look more like a cinnamon roll, with folds of dough coated with oil just slipping around--no kneading occurring.  I hastily added a bit of flour to try to get some friction going, and finally managed to manhandle the dough into a decent form.  Then into the fridge for an overnight rise.

Today: Preheated the oven at 550 for just under an hour, put dough in on its own, let the crust firm up under it for about 40 seconds, then dressed it with sauce and cheese, in for another 4 minutes or so (I never time it, I just visually check it.)  Tasted pretty good...the malt powder I think made a positive taste difference.  The only problem is, I sort of burnt the crust...so I'm looking forward to my second dough use tomorrow to get a real sense of the taste (I tasted mostly charred crust today).

And now.....*drumroll*...............my first crappy pictures!!! :)  (these will get better as I get more used to doing this!)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 08:25:56 PM by canadave »

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: my Photo Age begins, with my NY pizza pics
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 04:22:56 PM »
Hi Dave !  ;D

Pizza looks good, and I like the stones !

I see there's no sugar in the recipe, I saw the images first and thought "geez there's no real browning of the edges"
then go back and see there's no sugar - that would do it.

well the oven temp was very very good...... so I guess we know that the lack of sugar will really keep the dough light,
this is interesting.

As for crappy pictures, - there's no such thing :-) .... thanks for sharing.

And don't feel badly about adding the oil in a bit late, I've done this ( forgotten oops ! ) and what I do is just add in a bit
of flour as the KA is mixing, and it all comes back together ok.... but I know the feeling  ::)

Mark
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 07:11:05 PM »
Bacon,

Actually the recipe does include sugar, but it is in the Carnation malted milk powder in the form of malted barley extracts, which are often used to promote crust browning. At 1 1/2 T., the dough should have easily held up for 24 hours, especially under refrigeration, and even longer. Usually it takes several days for the dough to use up all the sugars (natural and added) to get to the stage where the crust doesn't have much browning. I wondered whether Dave's flash might have made the crust appear lighter than it actually was.

Peter

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 07:54:47 PM »
Yes, actually the crust wasn't all *that* browned, but it was slightly browned--at least more than's apparent in the pic.  The table is right by the back door, and there was a lot of light shining through, so it drowned it out.

If you look on the right side of the pizza, where it's slightly shaded, you can catch a hint of the browning.  Still, it's not as "golden brown" as others have achieved :(

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 08:05:03 PM »
Dave,

I just noticed that the recipe doesn't call for salt. Is that right? There is some in the Carnation malted milk mix but it's not clear how much (it is next to last in the list of ingredients).

Peter

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 08:25:33 PM »
ack, I knew I forgot something!  Sorry Pete, thanks for pointing that out--I'll change it directly.

Dave

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 09:10:59 PM »
Dave,

Your recipe looks pretty nicely balanced, with a good hydration percent (62.5%) and with all the ingredients in range. Since your crust bottom was much darker than the top crust, I think what may have happened to your pizza is that the bottom cooked faster than the rest of the pizza and so the top crust was lighter. What I do under those circumstances is to use a lower bake temperature and bake the pizza longer.

Peter

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 11:38:57 PM »
Yeah, actually I think I just left it in a shade too long; as you can see the cheese is slightly browned, which I'm not keen on.  I just wanted to make sure that the bottom was browned enough, and I overestimated the time I'd need for that to happen.  I was also waiting to see more evidence of browning on the outer crust, and that never really appeared. 

I'm just wondering if I should try adding some sugar when I make my next batch?  I know we've talked a bit about the malt powder containing some sugar, but I'm thinking I might experiment next time with adding a tablespoon of sugar to my double-batch of dough.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 11:41:12 PM by canadave »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 01:15:24 AM »
Dave,

I would be inclined to wait and see how the second pizza comes out before thinking about adding sugar the next time. If lowering the bake temperature and using a longer bake time solves your problem, then there may not be a need to add sugar the next time. As you may know, the basic Lehmann NY style dough does not use any sugar at all. The high-protein content of the high-gluten flour will in and of itself induce browning. Adding sugar will also promote browning but it may result in the bottom of the crust browning or even burning before the top of the crust browns and the rest of the pizza is fully cooked. Lehmann usually recommend adding sugar when it is desired to prolong the useful life of the dough, say, to 48 hours or more, by providing a continuing source of food for the yeast, or if the pizza dough is to be baked on a screen. The metal of the screen acts as a barrier between the heat source and the pizza dough and will slow down the browning. You could put your pizza on a screen and then bake the pizza with the screen directly on your tiles. You should get less browning that way and avoid burning the bottom of the pizza. But, as I say, I would be inclined to see how your second pizza comes out before considering that approach.

If you are experiencing excessive browning of your cheese, you might consider either freezing the cheese for a half hour to an hour before shredding, or adding the cheese to the pizza later in the baking cycle. Neither of these solutions may be necessary, however, if the lower bake temperature and longer bake time work without resulting in excessive browning of the cheese.

There's nothing that I can see in your recipe that leads me to believe that you shouldn't be able to get a great pizza out of your recipe. I think it is the baking part that needs to be resolved.

Peter

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 08:39:10 AM »
Dave,
Not sure you mentioned how you liked the Vanilla Malt? I find it adds a certain smoothness to the flavor of the crust without sacrificing the all important crunch.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 12:48:40 PM »
Topic Summary
Posted on: Today at 08:39:10 AMPosted by: pftaylor 
Insert Quote
Dave,
Not sure you mentioned how you liked the Vanilla Malt? I find it adds a certain smoothness to the flavor of the crust without sacrificing the all important crunch.

I mentioned it briefly....the thing is, I sort of burnt the bottom of the crust pretty badly, so I tasted mostly "charring" instead of the crust's full flavour.  I have another batch I'm baking today, from the same master dough ball, so I'll hopefully have a better idea of the full effect of the malt powder on the taste. :)

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 07:14:31 AM »
Your pictures look really tasty. Gave me the inspiration to start another batch last night enhanced with vanilla malt of course.

I know that vanilla malt is not an ingredient that you will find in any pizza parlor but you will in mine. So far, I have not been able to determine any downside to it's incorporation in recipes.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 12:41:10 PM »
OK, I made another pizza from the same batch of dough yesterday.  This time I paid closer attention to it, and made sure I took it out of the oven before it was browned and charred.  The cheese was just cooked enough, not browned this time.

I have to say that I'm not sure I really tasted the malt powder.  I thought I maybe detected a hint of it, but it certainly didn't overwhelm the pizza.

If anything, the pizza seemed crispier than usual.  Perhaps the powder's effects are more in the realm of crispiness and mechanics rather than taste?

The pizza overall tasted very good.  I'd like to experiment with adding some sugar though; I didn't add any, but I've always had pretty good luck adding at least some sugar.  Also, I made this batch of dough with cold water....maybe I'll try warm water next time. 

Dave

pizzapan