Author Topic: thought i had it my perfect crust  (Read 1329 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
thought i had it my perfect crust
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:10:14 AM »
 used a 24 hour cold rise dough the other day . the first round i used for my wife's zucchini veggie stew and some mozzarella . i figured i would use it to test the floor temp. it came out nice and spotted, soft ,and tender. i quickly did a margarita and it didn't cook close to as well as the first. don't know why maybe to heavy on the items.

Offline Matthew

Re: thought i had it my perfect crust
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:39:01 AM »
used a 24 hour cold rise dough the other day . the first round i used for my wife's zucchini veggie stew and some mozzarella . i figured i would use it to test the floor temp. it came out nice and spotted, soft ,and tender. i quickly did a margarita and it didn't cook close to as well as the first. don't know why maybe to heavy on the items.

How long do you let the hot coals heat the hearth prior to baking?

Matt

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 09:16:05 AM »
different toppings will sometimes result in a different end product in terms of the way the pizza dough bakes.  Going heavy on items
indeed can do this, also the type of items can change things, i.e. - things that have more water content, such as tomatoes, or pineapple.

Perhaps you have the "perfect" dough for a specific topping list, but not for other ingredients as you put on the second pizza.

both pizzas looked good though, I'd have to taste them both though to make sure  :chef:

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
matthew, about two hours, the floor was at 825 degrees .  there was 5 minutes between pizzas .

canadian bacon , there was no lift under the toppings on the second pizza , i am going to have to work on sauce thickness and quantity of items 

all of this testing is creating  a very bad case of dunlop disease   :chef:

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:36:25 AM »
matthew, about two hours, the floor was at 825 degrees .  there was 5 minutes between pizzas .

Hmm, My only guess is the floor hadn't absorbed enough heat then cooled down after baking the first pizza.  Did you damp mop the floor?  If you did, that would also cool down the floor.  When I spread the coals on the oven floor I still place a log or 2 over top of the hot coals to ensure that the coals can get as hot as possible & that there is still a live fire going.  I typically don't push aside the hot coals until the floor temperature reaches between 950-975.  I also keep a pretty raging fire going when I cook my pizzas so that I can maintain the super high temps.  You might wanna give that a try.  My oven is pretty big so it requires alot of wood; you can probably achieve the same result with alot less wood. 

Matt

Offline bicster

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 09:42:40 AM »
a very bad case of dunlop disease

i must have missed that one in pathology class, can you discuss its presentation?

pizzapan