Author Topic: Help! I bought too much!  (Read 1535 times)

Offline pixiedust

Help! I bought too much!
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:53:40 AM »
I bought too much salami and pepperoni from the deli. It is presliced. I overestimated the amount I needed for stromboli.

Can I freeze the salami and pepperoni?
A kiss is a pleasant reminder that two heads are better than one.

Offline Matthew

Re: Help! I bought too much!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:47:41 PM »
I bought too much salami and pepperoni from the deli. It is presliced. I overestimated the amount I needed for stromboli.

Can I freeze the salami and pepperoni?

Might be the right time to invest in a vacuum sealer.  Once vacuum sealed, it will keep a long time in the fridge.

Matt

Offline madjack

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:34:06 AM »
I've never had a problem freezing sliced pepperoni.  I usually buy a bunch of pepperoni at a time from our local grocery store's meat counter, and divide the pepperoni into amounts that will cover one pizza. I individually wrap those divided amounts with plastic wrap to help prevent any freezer burn, then put all of them into a ziplock freezer bag. When I am going to make a pepperoni pie, I just take one of the divided bunches out of the freezer bag, and let it thaw out on the counter inside of it's plastic wrap. Since they are sliced, they thaw rather quickly, 1/2 hour should be enough time, or you could always put them in the fridge in the morning, they should be ready after a couple of hours.

I have gone as long as 6 weeks in the freezer and never had a problem with frozen, sliced pepperoni. Just don't handle them too much when they are still frozen, they break easily.

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 10:49:33 AM »
I do the same as MadJack.  Wrap them well and drop the packets in a freezer ziplock.

Jack