Author Topic: Fried NY Style Lehmann Dough " Fritte"  (Read 2658 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Fried NY Style Lehmann Dough " Fritte"
« on: September 14, 2009, 10:47:54 PM »
I tried my frozen dough for a 10" pizza that I froze last week.  Although my camera doesn't take the best of pictures, the fried pizza dough was very light and airy.  I tried cinnamon and sugar and confectionery sugar on the fried dough.  I had made fried twinkies, fried snickers, and other fried things in the past, but I used funnel cake batter for that.
The dough first went to the bottom, then came up and then really expanded when it hit the oil.
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Fried NY Style Lehmann Dough " Fritte"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:07:34 AM »
WOW cool I am having a flashback of the country fairs and carnivals I went to in the Northeast as a child when my waistline was not as important. I rember $.50 - 1 thin dollar got you 3 or 4 of those deep fried dogh ball treats ( or 1 plate sized) covered in confectioners sugar ! Yum
thanks Norma!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 04:43:51 PM »
Thats a damn fine idea Norma. I think I will try that, maybe I will stuff it something.
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:27:34 PM »
JConk007 and ThunderStik,
Yes, I guess they are fattening, but you only live once and only a few can't hurt.  Happy to hear it brought back good memories.  :)
ThunderStik,
That's a good idea to put something in the dough before frying.  Apples sound good to me. Something like apple fritters, only more airy.  Let me know if you try stuffing them and how they turned out.  I heated the fryer up to 365 before I started frying.
Norma

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 09:33:16 AM »
I will let you know. I will make up a batch just for that in the next few days.  Maybe could stuff it with pepperoni and go the savory direction also.

I like apples also, man that would be good with some cinn/sugar. topped with some melted honey butter. Yeah thats the ticket.
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 12:49:33 PM »
Hey I did this with biscuit dough recently, even stuffed some with jelly and topped with confec. sugar, the rest just the sugar leaving them elephant ear-esque. Fabulous. I have not yet tried it with pizza dough, so great post. They look killer.
 8)
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 10:20:04 PM »
NY pizzastriver,
Your idea of using jelly sounds good.  What did they taste like using biscuits?  I haven't had much chance to try new things lately, because my one daughter is really ill.  Hope to try your idea with jelly soon.
Thanks,
Norma

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 03:57:49 PM »
Norma,

They were sweet like elephant ears / funnel cakes. I was surprised how good they were. Just the regular Pills, not grand or layered delights or any of that, just the plain 4 pack of cheap blue originals. I also read though that using peanut oil was the way to go, I just did vegetable once, that was good, then olive another time. The olive was really heavy, avoid that!  :o

I just halved then rolled them out for the jellies. I did a crescent fold and pinched over the lump of jelly, then sifted confectioners after frying. Watch them though, the jelly will blow out here and there, then it's instantly fried on the exposed part. I sorta like that though, but it's not for everyone.
 :D

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 04:00:59 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 07:16:34 PM »
NY pizzastriver,
Thanks for the information on how you used the biscuits and what kind of oil you used.
When I made mine, I used a commercial oil. I remember getting elephant ears at our state fairs years ago, and they were really delicious.  I remember seeing the dough rise and then the people frying them.  Brings back good memories.
Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 07:37:32 PM »
They look great. Also good with some cornmeal added to the mix, and a little fine diced onion, jalapenos or fine diced olives. Lots of ways to add a little sumpthin, sumpthin :-)
I've always loved frybread. Here's a link to the original frybread made from some kind of wild turnip in South Dakota.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 07:50:27 PM »
They look great. Also good with some cornmeal added to the mix, and a little fine diced onion, jalapenos or fine diced olives. Lots of ways to add a little sumpthin, sumpthin :-)
I've always loved frybread. Here's a link to the original frybread made from some kind of wild turnip in South Dakota.
Jon

Uhm,...where's the link, Jon?  :)
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 10:08:16 PM »
Whoops.......here ya go........

http://www.woodenknife.com/
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 10:50:17 PM »
Jon,
I looked at the site and never tried frybread.  Did you ever order mix from them.  The wild turnips in the mix sound intriguing. 
Your idea of adding onion, jalapenos, or black olives sound great, too.
Thanks,
Norma