Author Topic: New Molino Caputo Website  (Read 8212 times)

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: New Molino Caputo Website
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 10:11:26 PM »
Hey again,  well I guess nobody disagrees too much or at all,  it has just been coming as a suprise to me.  Certainly,  the people on this forum like to push limits as do I,  I am just suprised that it wasn't (at least for my tastes) for the better.  Matthew,  I gotta say thats one of the best looking pizzas I've seen come across the board in a while,  it really looks like its from Naples.  Now like Scott mentions,  I am going to work on some extended fermentation times with the the lower hydration.  I'll post some pictures next bake.  -marc

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 06:12:18 AM »
Hi widespreadpizza,

I have to agree with you !  The pic of Mathew's pizza is awesome - like the real thing that I found on my trip (read pilgrimage) to Naples. They look identical to those that I ate at Salvo.

Attached below is a pic of the staff at Salvo dividing their bulk dough for service later. One can see that the dough is not very wet - probably in line with the 58 - 59% suggested in this thread.

Kind regards.

Barry

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 09:47:26 PM »
I love the fly on the dough!

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 10:04:30 PM »
Scott,  good eye I missed that.  So this is what you mean by cutting a rope when forming dough balls,  looks lke he is using a fait amount of bench flour for this step no?  -marc

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 10:21:58 PM »
yes, you slice a big long strip like he has shown, and then you just pinch off your dougballs. 

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 04:04:33 AM »
Hi scottr and marc,

Below is a pic of the same guy at Salvo pinching off the balls of dough.

Kind regards.

Barry in Cape Town

Offline PETE

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 04:35:39 AM »
Barry, great pictures, I must agree with the lower hydration.  I have been using my new commercial oven "BRUNO" for only a week now, and the 58-60% hydration seems perfect.  I used to think the higher hydration the better, but with a proper oven at a high temp, Caputo works great at those hydrations.  Here in California I am lucky to have a wholesaler that also offers Giustos 00 organic (not cheap), and from early batches, the taste beats Caputo. 

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 07:12:18 AM »
Neat. I just made my first pizza using this dough formula. Caputo 00 mixed in a Santos fork mixer. I had to knead it a few minutes longer than called for, probably closer to 20 minutes. And I had to add a bit of extra water (1/4-1/2 cup) to get the dough to come together well. I probably added too much water though as the dough was pretty wet and sticky when it came out of my mixer.

Baked at ~900 for about 90 seconds in my home oven on Clean cycle. I just let the latching mechanism lock on to a wad of aluminum foil to get it to work.

How do you guys store your dough balls while they proof? For my normal dough formula, I brush them with oil and place in a zip lock bag. But since I wasn't using any oil in this recipe, I dusted them with flour instead. The flour on the bottom of the dough balls sort of caked up though and gave it a rough feeling.

It wasn't a traditional neapolitan pizza, but it tasted great. Reindeer sausage and mushroom with dry mozzarella instead of fresh or buffalo. Man, sausage cooked at 900 tastes amazing. Like it's been fried or something. And I love that you can use fresh mushrooms at this temp without the pizza turning into a soggy mess.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:18:59 AM by AKSteve »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 12:50:31 PM »
Barry, great pictures, I must agree with the lower hydration.  I have been using my new commercial oven "BRUNO" for only a week now, and the 58-60% hydration seems perfect.  I used to think the higher hydration the better, but with a proper oven at a high temp, Caputo works great at those hydrations.  Here in California I am lucky to have a wholesaler that also offers Giustos 00 organic (not cheap), and from early batches, the taste beats Caputo. 

Pete, please let us know how the texture of the guisto 00 pies compare to the caputo.   I am not surprised that it tases better.  While caputo is an awesome flour I definitely prefer the flavor of many american milled flours for some reason.

Offline PETE

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 01:58:13 AM »
Scott, the texture is close to Caputo, maybe not as soft (but close), I will have a better answer this week, since the electrician finally was able to hook up the Pietroberto diving arms mixer, (the restaurant we purchased was with single phase power, and the mixer runs on 3 phase, so it entailed purchasing an expensive phase converter), It has been kinda  wierd the last week, having that incredible oven, and having to make small batches of dough out of my kitchen aid at home.  I will say that having eaten at Bianco's many times (driving from S. Cal), that the Giusto's has the exact taste, but obviously he is getting a higher gluten ground down to double oo (he even told me so).  I wish everyone on this board is lucky enough to cook with a high heat wood burning oven someday, there is something magical about it, and for all the new members, listen to the experts on this board, Caputo does not work at low temps, it only took me a year to realize it.

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2009, 10:30:03 AM »
Pete,  Scott.  I contacted Giusto's this week and may be getting a sample bag went out next week.  They do organic and standard formulas,  but the organic is twice the price.  Anyways my point is that in the productlist,  the 00 is spec'd at 10-10.% protein.  Thats a fair amount lower than Caputo so I am guessing the dough should be softer in the end,  but who knows how accurate that number is.  Anyways Pete,  let us know what you find out with you mixer.  -Marc
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:35:11 AM by widespreadpizza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2009, 11:01:40 AM »
Marc,

You can't always go by the protein content when comparing flours. There are different types and qualities of protein that make comparisons difficult. In this case, the Giusto's flour is based on domestic grains whereas the Italian 00's are based on national flours or a blend of national flours and imported flours. As an example, I remember reading that all-purpose flour could be substituted for the French Type 55 flour. It took another member in the UK who was using the Type 55 flour to tell me that all-purpose flour was not a legitimate substitute even though they were comparable from the standpoint of protein content.

Peter

pizzapan