Author Topic: Kyrol Premium High Gluten Flour.....  (Read 6784 times)

Offline Jackitup

Kyrol Premium High Gluten Flour.....
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:56:37 PM »
Just went over to the Con Agra Mill, 4 blocks from my house and picked up 2, 50# bags of the Kyrol flour for 12 bucks a bag, not too bad. Got one bag for myself and one bag for Vince (2112). Called them up and ordered my flour, 10 minutes later I was back home. Gotta love living by a flour mill!!! Looking forward to meeting Vince Saturday over a couple beers or 10 ;-)
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Kyrol Premium High Gluten Flour.....
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 07:09:23 PM »
Jon,
I can get the Kyrol flour, too.  How does that compare with other high-gluten flour in making a thin crust pizza?  I am using All Trumps right now.  I really like how it performs.  I think the last time I checked the Kyrol was about 12.80 here.  That hasn't been for a number of months.
What other brands have you tried?
Thanks, Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:38:26 PM »
norma, im not jon, but I have used all trumps and kyrol quite a bit.   I really liked the kyrol and thought it was just as good as all trumps, or maybe even better.   I would love to hear you findings if you decide to try a bag.   Thanks!
Scott

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 10:43:29 PM »
Is Kyrol bromated?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 10:45:56 PM »
Is Kyrol bromated?

Warren,

Yes, it is.

Peter

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:46:29 PM »
I'll stick with KA then :)  Thanks.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 06:50:44 AM »
scott r,
I will purchase a bag and try the Kyrol when I need more flour.  I will report my findings to you on how it performs for me.
Thanks,
Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 09:53:07 AM »
Jon,
I can get the Kyrol flour, too.  How does that compare with other high-gluten flour in making a thin crust pizza?  I am using All Trumps right now.  I really like how it performs.  I think the last time I checked the Kyrol was about 12.80 here.  That hasn't been for a number of months.
What other brands have you tried?
Thanks, Norma

Hi Norma,
I've tried quite a few flours over the years but when I found the Kyrol I stopped looking around. It started with out local bakery several years ago when I first read about hi gluten when making homemade noodles and I would get it from them. One day they didn't have any and suggested that I try Con Agra, our local flour mill, as that's what they did on occasion. I don't know why I never thought of it before!! Well that's my story, place is 4 blocks from my house and that's when I've been going ever since. They have other flours too but must be bought in 50# bags, hard to go thru more than 1 at a time. Stuff behaves remarkably, especially when making breads and such, very, very, stable in it's dough state and wonderful oven spring.
Jon
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:54:53 AM by Jackitup »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 11:12:38 AM »
Jon,
Thanks for the reply.  I had tried the Kyrol years before when I was trying to make zeppoles.  I really didn't understand then how pizza was made or how yeasts and different flours had to be managed.  I just use a recipe and then tried it.  When I first made them, the zeppoles turned out great.  When it became warmer here the recipe I always had used, didn't fry up well and I couldn't tell when the middle was finished.  I ended up with not finished middles then.  I understand more now how over-fermentation, kneading, temperatures and humidity can affect finished doughs.  I still have a lot to learn, but am in the process of learning what I can. My local Flour Mill (C.O. Nolt & Sons), recommended the Kyrol then. 
That is interesting you make homemade noodles.  In the next few months I want to try making different kinds of pasta.  I am searching for the right recipe and also a pasta machine that can make different kinds of pasta.  I like fresh pasta so I'll see what happens with that. 
Making bread is interesting, too and maybe in the future, I will give that a try.
Great to hear how remarkably the Kyrol performs.  I am trying to get as much oven spring as I can on my pizza, also.  It's been a process, but it's interesting.
Thank you for your information.  :)
Norma

Offline 2112

• Pizza is our friend!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 11:36:48 AM »
Oh oh..........What the hell did I get myself into?   :-D

Looking forward to meeting Vince Saturday over a couple beers or 10 ;-)

Vince
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 12:47:56 PM »
Vince,

Once you see how talented Jon is and all the neat things he knows how to do, you may end up asking him to adopt you :-D.

Peter

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 02:44:11 PM »
Vince,

Once you see how talented Jon is and all the neat things he knows how to do, you may end up asking him to adopt you :-D.

Peter

I've already got a line of girls AND guys telling me "if you ever divorce Rosie......." It's definitely helps with my job security that all the nurses and RT's like my cooking  :P

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »
  That is interesting you make homemade noodles.  In the next few months I want to try making different kinds of pasta.  I am searching for the right recipe and also a pasta machine that can make different kinds of pasta.  I like fresh pasta so I'll see what happens with that. 
Norma

Hi Norma,
Here's some stuff on noodles http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7789.0.html. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5983.0.html. In the links I have the recipe I use and some pics along with the process of making them.
In one of the recipes it says 1 egg for every cup of mix, it is 1-2 eggs. Shoot me with any questions when you get around to trying them out.
Jon

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 07:50:25 PM »
Jon,
Thanks for the recipe and photos of your noodles.  Your food had my mouth watering.  :P It sounds like you make everything.  Since you like sauerkraut, did you ever try chicken and sauerkraut?  I put chicken breasts in with the sauerkraut, add a small amount of apple sauce, water and baked for about two hours.  Then make mashed potatoes and put the mixture over that.  It is something like pork and sauerkraut, but better. When I get around to making pasta, I probably will have more questions.
Norma

Offline 2112

• Pizza is our friend!
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 02:35:45 PM »
Vince,

Once you see how talented Jon is and all the neat things he knows how to do, you may end up asking him to adopt you .

Peter

I hear you Peter. It sounds like Jon has quite a few toys and knows others who have the rest.

We certainly have a lot of common....ie....fishing, hunting cooking, baking and of course our interest and common bond on this site.

I hope it's the start of a great friendship!

Vince

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 10:26:54 AM »
Jon,
I did try the Kyrol flour this week.  It did perform very well for me.  The crust was very tasty, even better than All Trumps. I had customers saying the crust tasted better. The only thing I noticed was if I tried to toss it too much it could tear easier.   I didn't find that with All Trumps.  I am going to try and get King Arthur High Gluten and see if I can tell a difference in that.  My supplier was out of it the last time I tried to purchase it.  The Kyrol was cheaper, but if I can I want to get away from bromated flour. 
Thanks for your advise. 
Here is a picture after I mixed the dough.  I forgot to take a picture of the finished pizza.
Norma

Offline PizzaBob

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 11:27:37 AM »
Hi All, new poster.
I also go to the mill in Hastings to get Kyrol. The first time I went I was able to discuss the various versions with one of the people and discovered that Kyrol AA  and Kyrol ER (enriched) are not bromated. If you have the good fortune to have access to this flour, there are multiple versions available. I do like it very much for pizza, and, the price is right. Thanks to Jackitup's posts quite a while back, I went right to the source.

Offline 2112

• Pizza is our friend!
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 03:46:08 PM »
Hello Pizza Bob where around the Twin Cities do you live?

Since using Kryol flour the pizza and bread quality have climbed to a new plateau.

I have tried everything off the shelves in the area I live hear in Minnesota and even ordered KASL from Vermont.

But this flour is far better than anything else I have come across.

Jon was right when he told me that once I try this I will find it hard to look around for another.

And at $12 for 50 lbs......It is tough to beat!! If I am not mistaken, it cost me $12 and change for a 3 lb. bag of KASL ordered from Vermont to the house. Shipping is the killer.

But don't get me wrong if there are other Kryol options that perform this well without Bromate....Then sign me up!!

I will certainly give it a try. But for now I could not be happier.

Vince

pizzapan