Author Topic: hello from the blind meat cutter  (Read 1032 times)

Offline the blind meat cutter

hello from the blind meat cutter
« on: September 22, 2009, 11:05:53 AM »
Hi to all. I am Steve Gomes, a blind person who grew up in Massapequa Long Island and I could eat pizza everyday. One of my hobbies is to cook all kinds of food. I have been making pizza for about 30 years now. Most of the time on a pan. I have been working with a stone for a few years and have a 15 1/2 inch stone from fiberment. And a 15 inch aluminum peal. I refuse to use parchment paper and some times I can't get the pie to slide off the peal and make a mess. I really want to make a nice light pizza that I can fold and pick up and eat it. You know what I mean. I hope I posted this in the right place. My computer has screen reading software that speaks what is on the screen. So teach me all things. I am gona go through all these topics and see what I can learn.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 11:12:53 AM by the blind meat cutter »

Offline ThunderStik

Re: hello from the blind meat cutter
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
First off BMC i give you props for not letting your lack of vision get in the way of your passion for pizza.

Below is a link to a thread you will find very helpful in your quest for a good New York style pie. Its a long read but is full of information.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg5303.html#msg5303
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 11:41:56 AM »
I am on it right now. I am gona learn how to do it. It took me 30 years to make good bagels but now I make them. The newis thing I am into is Charcuterie. The craft of dry curing meats. And I brewed my own all grain beer out on the deck for 11 years. Now I am too old so I make wine instead. You buy these kits and they are good. thanks for checkin in and I am going to that thread you sent me to.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 11:54:43 AM »
Steve,

I have discovered that it is difficult to teach someone how to make pizza over the Internet relying mainly on words. For that reason, my practice is to cram as much into my posts as possible. However, I am fearful that your screen reading software will go hoarse or be reduced to a whisper if it tries to read my posts to you. Is there a preference from your standpoint as to the level of detail? Also, is there a particular pizza style that you are after? From your post, it sounds like you are after a NY style pizza or possibly a Grandma or similar style pizza. Since you posted on the Newbie Topics board, as a test you might ask your screen reading software to take a look at this post and maybe some of the following ones (unfortunately some of the posts are mainly photos) to see if your software can handle them: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.msg19563.html#msg19563.

To solve or ameliorate the problems you have been having with your metal peel, I suggest that you consider buying a wooden peel. That is what most pizza operators use to load their NY style pizzas into their ovens (deck ovens). They use metal peels to move the pizzas around the oven and to remove them from the oven.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:02:03 PM by Pete-zza »

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 12:59:43 PM »
Hi Pete. My screen reader cannot do photos just words. I am going through the topics now. My main problem is the pie sticking to the stone. and you did say get a wooden peal. I have one but it is only 12 inches and the stone is 15 and I want to make a bigger pie. Will it slide better off the wood? and if so can I make a bigger pie and hold the three inch edge with my hand wile getting it to the oven?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:33:24 PM by the blind meat cutter »

pizzapan