Author Topic: Question about using different yeast  (Read 985 times)

Offline 5thElement

Question about using different yeast
« on: September 19, 2009, 07:45:53 AM »
Up until now, for pizza and basically any bread, i've been using sachets of instant dry yeast.

If i wanted to switch to using active dry yeast or even fresh yeast, how does the quantity of IDY compare to ADY and fresh?

Are there any other considerations to make?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Question about using different yeast
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 05:48:57 PM »
5thElement,

For a discussion of the different forms of yeast and how they should be used, you might want to take a look at this PMQ Think Tank thread, especially Tom Lehmann's post: http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=50947#50947. I personally freeze my dry yeast, so I don't follow Tom's "use by" advice.

Since, in your case, you are converting in the opposite direction, from IDY to ADY or fresh yeast, you will need to increase the amount of IDY, by weight, by about one-third to get to ADY and by threefold to get to cake (compressed) yeast. In the case of using cake yeast instead of IDY, you will also have to reduce the formula water by the difference in weights between the IDY and cake yeast (to compensate for the water content of cake yeast). In most cases in a home environment, that difference might be too small to worry about.

Sometimes, when I am lazy, I use the yeast conversion table at http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm to determine the conversions or to confirm my own conversions that I do in my head or using a calculator.

Peter

Offline 5thElement

Re: Question about using different yeast
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 05:19:47 PM »
Apologies for the late reply.

Thanks for the information, i'll take a look at the think tank page now. Thanks for the conversion table aswell, looks quite handy!

pizzapan