Author Topic: Crisp on the outside deep dish crust  (Read 2458 times)

Offline jeninmn

• I Love Pizza!
Crisp on the outside deep dish crust
« on: February 21, 2005, 11:53:43 PM »
FOREVER I have been attempting to make a deep dish like home in Chicago (I know, not a new story!).  Every recipe I have tried has turned out more dough like and dense than crispy and light.  Does anyone have any great recipes for deep dish crust that will cook through and will be similar to those beauties from the windy city?

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
Re: Crisp on the outside deep dish crust
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 02:19:46 AM »
click on the pizzamaking.com banner at the top of the page, and you will find two very good deep dish recipes. I recomend Deven's chicago style deep dish.  Its the only deep dish recipe I make any more.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 07:29:08 AM »
click on the pizzamaking.com banner at the top of the page, and you will find two very good deep dish recipes. I recomend Deven's chicago style deep dish.  Its the only deep dish recipe I make any more.

I second that motion!  :D
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Pizza Meister

• Now that's a pizza!
    • superpeel
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 01:43:22 PM »
Here is a link to the pizza you see on the left

<--------------

http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/baking0332.htm

It is formed in a springform pan ring (without the bottom) and baked on a pre-heated baking stone.  While not the same as a true Chicago Deep Dish, this has an incredibly crunchy crust on the sides and on the bottom, and is done without the extra grease or shortening in the dough or in the pan.

Try it you will like it!  Here is a pic of a fresh one, just cut into!  Yummmmm!

Pizza Meister
"Infringement is the "sinisterest" form of flattery"

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 02:07:35 PM »
What an interesting idea!!  8) ;D

So you build the pie on a peel with the springform ring in place? Cool!  8)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Pizza Meister

• Now that's a pizza!
    • superpeel
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 04:52:31 PM »
Steve,

The construction is done on the work surface and lifted onto the peel (super peel).  I suppose you could do it on parchment paper and slide that onto the stone, but it is better naked.  I have not and really would not try it with a regular peel, at least not without parchment underneath it.  This is a substantial mass!!!

If anyone would be interested in seeing the assembly and loading (compressed a bit), I can send you a small video file ~ 2.5 MB.

Pizza Meister

Offline jeninmn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 03:49:31 PM »
Thanks for the tip!  I was fairly successful except that the recipe I used was meant for 2 pizzas I think.  The crust was really thick and the toppings ended up floating over the top instead of creating layers.  To get the crust cooked through it took about 1 1/2 hours.
I would love to see how you put yours all together!
I'll just have to keep trying!

Thanks again!

Offline Pizza Meister

• Now that's a pizza!
    • superpeel
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 10:32:08 PM »
I actually have a smaller video file that is only abou 600 KB.  It is an abbreviated walk through build and bake, but it might help.   Larger file with subtitle instructions if you want that ~6-7 MB. Email me if you want to see either of these and I will happily send.

The dough should be like that for a regular thin crust pie.  I haven't tried it with a thicker crust other than the first couple times I made it, I was pressing the dough up the ring walls.  This resulted in a thick perimeter.  Still should cook in about 20-25 min on a hot 450 stone.

Pizza Meister

pizzapan