Author Topic: Pictures of Pepperoni Madness  (Read 1991 times)

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
Pictures of Pepperoni Madness
« on: February 24, 2005, 05:40:32 PM »
My son asked me to make a pepperoni pie tonight with as little char as possible. So I preheated my grill for only 10 minutes. The pie had the familiar taste and most of the properties of my normal recipe. It lacked the all important crunch but excelled in foldability and lack of droop. The blonde color of the crust didn't satisfy either one of us. I will go back to my normal approach and not deviate on the temperature again. While I'm willing to try different toppings, I will not change my preparation again.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 06:42:57 AM by pftaylor »
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

Re: Pepperoni Madness
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 05:42:42 PM »
Look closely at the grill spring on these slices. I'm mildly surprised. I would have thought the spring would of been less due to the quick preheat and obvious lack of extreme high temperature.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 05:59:17 PM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 07:52:05 PM »
you call that blonde!!
you should see what comes out of my oven.. if i had something with even this amount of char i'd streak through the streets!!  ;D

keep it up, looks awesome!

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 07:58:54 PM »
actually, that amount of char looks just perfect.  Maybe a *little* bit darker would be okay.  At least for a NY street pizza, anyway :)

Dave

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 06:39:51 AM »
If I had to describe the overall difference between my normal grilled pie and this one, I would say this one was mostly chew, a little crunch and almost no char. My family clearly prefers to have more of a balanced blend of chew, crunch, and char. Apparently that only happens, for us anyway, at 800 degrees or so. Crust, cheese, sauce, and spices just taste better to us at higher bake temperatures than lower.

I have learned something else from this experiment though. A shortened preheat time equals uneven cooking. From the pictures you can see the top cooked faster than the bottom. Apparently the temperature of the air was higher than the tiles. So it's the tiles that take a longer time to heat up than the air. Interesting. Now here's the twist which makes this so maddening for me. When I used a pizza stone in place of the grate & tile configuration I have now, the results were the exact opposite. A short preheat would equal a charred bottom and a raw top. Those sorts of huge swings in possible outcomes are enough to drive a guy to drink and kept me up at nights.

A 30 minute preheat with a double stack of tiles on the grill grate seems to mostly balance the air and tile temperature out. Looking back on recent pies, I can deduce that the air temperature is slightly higher than the tile temperature which is exactly where it should be as the top needs slightly more heat than the bottom due to sauce and toppings.

Dave, you make a great point though. It did remind me of a NY "Street" pie as well now that you mention it. It just wasn't close to a coal or wood burning oven look. It had a Bakers Pride or Bari oven look to it.

Snowdy, have you implemented the calibration mode for your home oven to get an extra 35 degrees or so of heat? The adjustment might get you closer to char... 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 08:35:16 AM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com