Author Topic: Anthony Mangieri Video  (Read 27635 times)

Offline mizrachi

Anthony Mangieri Video
« on: September 25, 2009, 11:21:15 PM »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: Anthony Mangieri Video
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 01:09:50 AM »
Great soundtrack &  nicely shot.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 07:03:35 AM »
Great Video, thanks for posting.

Offline Mo

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 12:46:36 PM »
Very cool. I was just as into his ink as I was his pies.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 07:54:23 PM »
Nice video, you can tell his bread background when he is handling the raw dough.

I am assuming that he feeding, then later adding starter to the mixer. Is this correct? Amythimg else new/interesting you can pick up from this vid?

Jeff

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 01:55:41 PM »
That was a good video.  Yes, lots of bread techniques here from the spiral mixer to the use of the preferment.  Dough looked amply hydrated.

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 04:02:14 PM »
Dough looked amply hydrated.

I agree, but thought it could have been the size of the bulk dough too-any ideas of how high?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 05:38:01 PM »
anthony is using a wet dough, close to 64%.   This video is great for any copycats out there because it shows everything but the starter to poolish step.   That is not the starter you see, but the poolish.   He is not taking any shortcuts with his process, but like marco eludes to, I am not sure the extra preferment stage is helping that much.  Could be more work than is needed from what I have learned with my experiments, especially since he is using a starter.   Again, though, you cant slag him for taking the easy road!

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 09:35:42 AM »
anthony is using a wet dough, close to 64%.   This video is great for any copycats out there because it shows everything but the starter to poolish step.   That is not the starter you see, but the poolish.   He is not taking any shortcuts with his process, but like marco eludes to, I am not sure the extra preferment stage is helping that much.  Could be more work than is needed from what I have learned with my experiments, especially since he is using a starter.   Again, though, you cant slag him for taking the easy road!

Thanks Scott. Do you mean he is making a poolish from his starter or...? That's new to me.

Jeff

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 10:39:55 AM »
yes

Infoodel

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 11:48:39 AM »
I've looked at this video (as well as others)- as well as the various articles that have been written regarding Mr Mangieri.  I also tried to calculate a work schedule based on the UPN opening hours and the process that was detailed on the UPN 'menu'.  I believe the actual process is somewhat simpler than some have claimed. I'm not sure that it even takes 48 or even 36 hours fermentation. It does, however, take place over two days.

Here is the method I think is being used:

First thing in the morning:-  mix up dough from old dough, new flour, water and salt.
There may be an intermediate bulk fermentation stage here (in the bowl?, or as the video shows- on a large tray).
Take some of the dough to form into dough balls for that evening's pizzas.
Put the rest of the dough (still in the mixer, I guess) in a tub and leave on the worktop for tomorrow morning - at which point it will have done a 24 hour ferment.
It's essentially a 30ish hour cycle which overlaps to give a 24 hour fermentation for the 'old dough'
The reason the old dough looks so wet, is because it has fermented a  long time and the gluten has broken down considerably, not because it's of a higher hydration.

There's no 'starter' or 'poolish' because it's all just old dough. No separate stages - just mix once a day and ferment. Bake some pizza in the evening and leave the rest for the next day. It's possible Anthony's method has changed over the years but  a recent NY  magazine article detailing 'a day in the life' mentioned how dough was mixed in the morning, divided at 2pm ready for baking that evening. This video confirms that article as being reasonably close to the method Anthony uses - at least since he got the spiral mixer.

FWIW I've actually tried this method for making bread before on a number of diff. doughs and it worked amazingly well. The fear is that overfermented dough will not be an effective leavening agent....not the case!
I've not made pizza this way yet - but will try when I have a few days to spare.

Toby
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:11:20 PM by Infoodel »

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 12:56:30 PM »
Hmmm...that method is basically staright from the bakery.

Offline Mo

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 01:31:14 PM »
I've looked at this video (as well as others)- as well as the various articles that have been written regarding Mr Mangieri.  I also tried to calculate a work schedule based on the UPN opening hours and the process that was detailed on the UPN 'menu'.  I believe the actual process is somewhat simpler than some have claimed. I'm not sure that it even takes 48 or even 36 hours fermentation. It does, however, take place over two days.

Here is the method I think is being used:

First thing in the morning:-  mix up dough from old dough, new flour, water and salt.
There may be an intermediate bulk fermentation stage here (in the bowl?, or as the video shows- on a large tray).
Take some of the dough to form into dough balls for that evening's pizzas.
Put the rest of the dough (still in the mixer, I guess) in a tub and leave on the worktop for tomorrow morning - at which point it will have done a 24 hour ferment.
It's essentially a 30ish hour cycle which overlaps to give a 24 hour fermentation for the 'old dough'
The reason the old dough looks so wet, is because it has fermented a  long time and the gluten has broken down considerably, not because it's of a higher hydration.

There's no 'starter' or 'poolish' because it's all just old dough. No separate stages - just mix once a day and ferment. Bake some pizza in the evening and leave the rest for the next day. It's possible Anthony's method has changed over the years but  a recent NY  magazine article detailing 'a day in the life' mentioned how dough was mixed in the morning, divided at 2pm ready for baking that evening. This video confirms that article as being reasonably close to the method Anthony uses - at least since he got the spiral mixer.

FWIW I've actually tried this method for making bread before on a number of diff. doughs and it worked amazingly well. The fear is that overfermented dough will not be an effective leavening agent....not the case!
I've not made pizza this way yet - but will try when I have a few days to spare.

Toby

Yeah, I don't quite follow. Are you saying the very runny, wet, starter looking mixture he measures into the bowl for mixing with flour and h2o is old dough left to ferment for 24 hours at room temp?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:33:14 PM by Mo »

Infoodel

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 02:44:18 PM »
Yes, in effect he is, Mo.

However I think I may have got my initial assessment wrong.
I realised I was missing a part of the puzzle - something was bugging me about that video.
Anthony can clearly be seen to measure out a quantity of the 55lb bag of flour and throws it under the work bench before going on to mix the final dough.
I realise now what that might be used for.  The quantity was not enough imo for making the bulk of the contents of the 'starter tub' on its own - however it could be added to what remained in the mixing bowl after the final dough was mixed - to increase the amount of 'residual dough' as well as increase the fermentation time (and cut down on how much dough needs to be reserved - ie more pizzas!)
Here is my new suggested work schedule:

* Reserve some flour from a 55lb bag of Caputo.
* Use the rest of the bag together with the 24 hour fermented levain, salt and water to make the final dough.
* Take most of this dough and leave on a tray for a bulk ferment of a few hours
* Divide and shape the 'trayed' dough into dough balls - ready for making pizzas in about 4-5 hours time.
* Take the residual final dough and mix it with the previously reserved flour, additional water and salt - and put in a tub to ferment for 24 hours ready for the next day.

So in essence I was partly right, and so were others who have speculated on preferments etc.
Anthony DOES use a preferment - but does not maintain a  'chef' or storage starter in the form of poolish.
Rather, he uses old dough (pate fermentee...au levain!) together with additional flour, salt and water to make a 24 hour sponge (or intermediate levain if you like).

That's still speculation- but it fits all the details in the video and articles - and it's a pretty smart system imo! Here's hoping he finds a new location to continue the good work.

Toby
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:14:46 PM by Infoodel »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 05:40:01 PM »
Toby, you sound like you have dug more into the UPN process than you initially indicated. ;) I think you are definitely in the ballpark, so to speak, if not in fact in the same section of seats.

I need to watch the video in more detail, but your assessment seems logical.

BTW, that UPN dough turned into the most flavorful pizza crust I have even eaten.

Killer video! Thanks for the link.  ;D
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 06:13:51 PM »
Infoodel, so he uses sourdough, because regular yeast will die eventually... right ?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Infoodel

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 06:31:45 PM »
Infoodel, so he uses sourdough, because regular yeast will die eventually... right ?
I honestly don't know why Anthony chose sourdough originally - but yes his apparent method is certainly built around it. Maybe he was inspired by Da Michele?
As others have commented - it seems to be a part-bakery, part-neapolitan approach.
For him to have used (baker's) yeasted Pâte fermentée in large quantities would either have meant different work hours or refrigeration (which he apparently refused to do).

Toby
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 06:34:00 PM by Infoodel »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 12:22:38 AM »

yes, you can not carry on this technique starting with commercial yeast, only with a starter.

I was not speculating on the idea of anthony using a preferment (poolish) made with more than just old dough.  This is a really great method for making pizza or bread.   You guys should try it!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:33:55 AM by scott r »

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 06:22:17 AM »
thanks guys !
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Matthew

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 06:48:11 AM »
Yes, in effect he is, Mo.

However I think I may have got my initial assessment wrong.
I realised I was missing a part of the puzzle - something was bugging me about that video.
Anthony can clearly be seen to measure out a quantity of the 55lb bag of flour and throws it under the work bench before going on to mix the final dough.
I realise now what that might be used for.  The quantity was not enough imo for making the bulk of the contents of the 'starter tub' on its own - however it could be added to what remained in the mixing bowl after the final dough was mixed - to increase the amount of 'residual dough' as well as increase the fermentation time (and cut down on how much dough needs to be reserved - ie more pizzas!)
Here is my new suggested work schedule:

* Reserve some flour from a 55lb bag of Caputo.
* Use the rest of the bag together with the 24 hour fermented levain, salt and water to make the final dough.
* Take most of this dough and leave on a tray for a bulk ferment of a few hours
* Divide and shape the 'trayed' dough into dough balls - ready for making pizzas in about 4-5 hours time.
* Take the residual final dough and mix it with the previously reserved flour, additional water and salt - and put in a tub to ferment for 24 hours ready for the next day.

So in essence I was partly right, and so were others who have speculated on preferments etc.
Anthony DOES use a preferment - but does not maintain a  'chef' or storage starter in the form of poolish.
Rather, he uses old dough (pate fermentee...au levain!) together with additional flour, salt and water to make a 24 hour sponge (or intermediate levain if you like).

That's still speculation- but it fits all the details in the video and articles - and it's a pretty smart system imo! Here's hoping he finds a new location to continue the good work.

Toby

Toby,
Great work, I think you're pretty bang on with your theory. The question is how much old dough (%) is being used? ???

Matt