Author Topic: Salt Question  (Read 1320 times)

Offline wordsandwich

Salt Question
« on: September 26, 2009, 09:40:36 AM »
Hi All,

this is my first post on this message board but I have been a voyeur for a while, and i have gotten a ton of great information. I have been making pizza with my mom since I was a little kid, and as an adult i have been making my own pizza dough for about 4-5 years now.

My question is in regards to salt in dough. I have seen a few posts that say salt does effect the rise, and then others that say it only effects the taste. which one is true?

there is a reason for this question: I made a dough on thursday that is almost 48 hours into rise (in the fridge obviously) and I forgot to add salt. Everything looks good but I am wondering if I should scrap the dough and make a same day recipe.

thoughts??

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Salt Question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 10:17:16 AM »
My question is in regards to salt in dough. I have seen a few posts that say salt does effect the rise, and then others that say it only effects the taste. which one is true?

wordsandwich,

It is both, plus a few more things, as you will see from the King Arthur piece on salt at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/salt.html. It may be too late now to try to incorporate the salt but I have read of people who try to work some salt into the dough after it has been formed into a skin. See, for example, http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/3948/oops-forgot-salt.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:18:56 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline wordsandwich

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 11:48:26 AM »
thanks for the links Pete-zza, very helpful stuff.. I have decided I am going to keep it as is and see what the results are. I have been using the % spreadsheet from jeff varasano's NY pizza page and I have my amounts very consistent, so i am actually excited to see how it turns out without the salt. Also, I use tap water (which is well water) and we have a softener which uses salt pellets so there is sodium content in my tap water (very small, but it is there) so we'll see how this experiment works out.

it has been rising in the fridge for about 40 hours, and so far it looks great but i think it has risen slightly more than usual.

for anyone who cares, I will post my results late tonight or tomorrow depending on how many beers I drink with the finished product....cheers!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 11:59:14 AM »
wordsandwich,

Please do post the photos. I think we can all learn a lot from them, as well as from your (sober) description of the final results.

Peter

pizzapan