Author Topic: 9 Minute Pie Using Weber Grille - Low Cost Woodfired Za.  (Read 9372 times)

Offline BobBill

• Pies since 1972
9 Minute Pie Using Weber Grille - Low Cost Woodfired Za.
« on: September 26, 2009, 05:29:36 PM »
Thought some might be interested.

Was doubtful about where to put this post.

Using 24" Weber grille.

3/8" steel plate to support and protect stone, 14 x 16" to just fit inside grille.

Round 1 x 1" cut steel pipe really only need 4 or 6 at most.

Inexpensive 14 x 15 stone ($13.) Perfect. Just fits.

Using .50 bag of Kingsford charcoal across grille - am sure you can substitute wood. Pipe supports steel plate, which supports stone.

First pie took 30 minutes, so no advantage, save wood smoke taste. Was load of coals as shown in pic with pipe in place off to each side.

Increased coals to half bag, spread across grille beneath the plate.

Second pie took 9 minutes, but so hot it charred.

Next pie took 9 minutes but fire had diminished intensity, a bit well done, but passed.

Temp guessed to be near 700, but maybe hotter.

Stone is the less expensive and thinner kind, but it took the heat well (gradual)...

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:09:17 PM by BobBill »
Welcome to our round playground called Earth
Where the greatest cause of death is birth! Lucas, Winona
All you gotta know - JD Winona

Offline Grilling24x7

• Grilling 24x7
Re: 9 Minute Pie Using Weber Grille - Low Cost Woodfired Za.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 03:12:16 PM »
This is very interesting to me.  I want to try something similar one day.  Normally I'm a griller but my love for pizza has taken me indoors with my pizza stone.  I see this is an old thread - hopefully you're still around.

A few questions:

a.  Did you keep the lid on the grill for the entire cooking process?  If so, did you notice too much smoke/charcoal flavor on the pizza?
b.  What is the purpose of the cut steel pipes?
c.  Is the steel plate necessary to protect the stone?  what would happen if you put the stone directly on the grates?

The possibilities seem great here, especially if you utilize wood rather than all charcoal.  It could really have a wood fired oven taste (I think?).

John

Offline BobBill

• Pies since 1972
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 05:09:28 AM »
Be glad to help.

a. Lid on all the time? Once the charcoal goes gray, lid goes on, to keep the high temps. I might add, that I put the steel plate and stone on as soon as possible as the coals are heating so they heat as gradually as possible, and only 5 pieces of pipe are needed, each corner and center. Spares are handy, however.

a2. Use wood? You could use wood, but just add a bit after the coals are gray and it adds enough wood flavor. In fact, I for one, prefer only a minimum wood smoke flavor as it can overpower pie ingredients.

b. Pipes? The cut steel pipes keep the plate and stone elevated a bit from being too close to the charcoal and permit heat circulation. Lot of coals and they are very hot.

c. Plate needed? The plate needs to be under to stone to prevent cracking from the fire/heat.

What it really does is make it possible to serve up 4 or 6 large pies fast for a crowd.

Weber gets quite hot and pies need watching. I over-charred one in just 9 minutes so have taken to measuring out charcoal and lessened it to prevent overheating in general.

I am not big on charred pies for taste and for health reasons.

The pic of oven on stone 2-pounder before freezing, and a bit overdone for freezing pie, from last week is about as dark as I go.

Pie is small, about 12 inches, Neapolitan rise with bread dough, ala Spacca Napoli (Chicago) recipe. Goldsmith uses 00 flour, which I find hard to obtain, so I do with what I have.

No bread benefits from charring, IMHO. Charring seems a recent fad and I bake for me anyway.  I started late, in '74 and do only about 50 to 75 pies a year, but I always try to out do last pie.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:33:06 AM by BobBill »

Offline BobBill

• Pies since 1972
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 07:03:47 AM »
After some practice and much beer, process is smooth, pies are the max. Summer only in this area.

As good as brick oven, way less expensive and easy to put away.

Roasted garlic, salt and basil...very few sliced and drained San Marzonos...a few, very few bits of cheese: yum!

Still very satisfied with oven bake as well, however.

Would have posted pics but they are on other machine.

Will do later.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 07:06:00 AM by BobBill »

Offline BobBill

• Pies since 1972
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:04:11 AM »
I forgot to add cost: stone was $15 or so, metal plate custom cut and steel pipe was $30, Weber I had but new around $100, used $10...pic of last "Web(er)-Za."
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:02:40 AM by BobBill »

Offline aaron28

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 10:22:53 PM »
That's a pretty good idea. Your pizza looks really good too. To cook a pizza that size in 9 minutes is pretty good. I bet you could scale the idea up with a bigger grill.

Offline BobBill

• Pies since 1972
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 01:18:33 PM »
That's a pretty good idea. Your pizza looks really good too. To cook a pizza that size in 9 minutes is pretty good. I bet you could scale the idea up with a bigger grill.

That is true, but the size can be 12 inches and easy to handle before and after baking. 

Thanks on the za. The dark stuff is spinach that surfaced. The above was a loaded pie for daughter, likes lots of stuff, I prefer Neapolitan style with less amount of ingredients. It is all good, however.

BTW, if I forgot to mention, only use steel pipe, not galvanized, and plain steel plate.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 01:23:43 PM by BobBill »

Offline BobBill

• Pies since 1972
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »
Bump. I see commercial versions avail. Wonder if trade off worth it?

Anyone try commercial version? Comparisons?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:54:13 AM by BobBill »

Offline BobBill

• Pies since 1972
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 06:04:15 AM »
This is very interesting to me.  I want to try something similar one day.  Normally I'm a griller but my love for pizza has taken me indoors with my pizza stone.  I see this is an old thread - hopefully you're still around.

A few questions:

a.  Did you keep the lid on the grill for the entire cooking process?  If so, did you notice too much smoke/charcoal flavor on the pizza?
b.  What is the purpose of the cut steel pipes?
c.  Is the steel plate necessary to protect the stone?  what would happen if you put the stone directly on the grates?

The possibilities seem great here, especially if you utilize wood rather than all charcoal.  It could really have a wood fired oven taste (I think?).

John

John, I did build a natural apple/plum wood fire in my fireplace (outside) and when the fire died to coals, transferred the coals to grille - used long shovel and a pain. Then added grate with steel and stone atop. Cannot say the difference was all that great in taste, so sticking with commercial char.

It is overall great fun, though. Sort of a show for guests with great results. Beats TV baloney and would make Goldsmith at Napa in Chi smile. No pics. Pies looked same, by and large.

Offline BobBill

• Pies since 1972
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 03:26:53 PM »
FWIW...I tried using the Weber/steel/stone on Dec 24th, and suffice it to say winter pies outside surrounded by 34+ inches of snow was not that much fun, so confining such pies to summer months. Took a bit longer than 9 minutes and pies could have been baked indoors with same results.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:37:22 PM by BobBill »

Offline BobBill

• Pies since 1972
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 02:26:15 PM »
Baked 2 pies outdoors as we are in a thaw with temps near 45 or so, baking as above and pies were fine. Fresh basil is a bit pricey now, however.

I have learned to turn about after couple minutes and remove about after about 5 total, depending on heat level, to avoid char.

This last batch was 30 to 48 hour rise in fridge with OO and not much different than with bread flour to me.

Today it is back inside to make a few for freezer...easier because I can set toppings about with greater facility.

Offline BobBill

• Pies since 1972
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 02:29:34 PM »
Gave the Weber a shot, last night, weather getting nice finally.

Was able to do pie in 4 minutes, but have to figure out how that might affect the Weber. Might be too hot.

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 02:56:18 PM »
I'm going to using my friend's weber to cook pizza soon. Is it OK to put pizza stone directly on the grill? Is there a chance it will crack?  How can I stop this happening? What would happen if I used granite instead of the stone?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 03:31:30 PM »
Never use granite.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

buceriasdon

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 03:47:03 PM »
I would seek out some quarry tile or if need be hard firebrick splits though more costly. I saw a You Tube video where he used just regular wall bricks.  Any unglazed ceramic floor tile will work if thick enough. You might be ok using a pizza tile, then again it may crack without the steel plate underneath. Granite? I wouldn't. Lol, I refound this video, just hilarious, quite the technique he has. :-D   
Don
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:58:37 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline BobBill

• Pies since 1972
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 09:06:08 PM »
The above has most of the information you seek. Give it a read, and if questions, ask them after the read.

You need no stone, if doing conventional pies, but doing high heat Neapolitan needs different approach.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:11:27 PM by BobBill »

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 01:24:14 AM »
The above has most of the information you seek. Give it a read, and if questions, ask them after the read.

You need no stone, if doing conventional pies, but doing high heat Neapolitan needs different approach.

So what would you cook the pizza on if you didn't use a stone?

Offline BobBill

• Pies since 1972
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 01:39:52 AM »
There are a number of recipes I have read that use the grille only. I use the low cost stone over a steel plate, as above, however.

It may be these pies were done with the dough prebaked a bit on the grille to stiffen up a bit, before toppings added.

I did try making a pie over foil on the grill, and it was okay, if not very tricky. I might have a couple of those recipes around and will see if I can find and if they have links, else I will write up and post.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:42:21 AM by BobBill »

Offline BobBill

• Pies since 1972
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 08:55:31 AM »
Jonesyb,

Here are two links for direct grille pies. I have not tried either. Am sure there are more on this site and elsewhere.

http://www.midwestliving.com/recipe/sandwiches/hot-off-the-grill-pizza/

In this one, scroll until you get to "Pizza on the Grille." This is a good crust for a pie, I will say.

http://www.midwestliving.com/recipe/pizza/whole-wheat-pizza-crust/

Thing is, there are many ways to approach grilled pies and, like chile etc, you will get as many versions as there are cooks.

Have fun.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:58:00 AM by BobBill »

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 02:32:52 PM »
Thank you very much for links and information. I will have a look now. Shall also come back to this thread and post my results when I finally  use my friend's weber.