Author Topic: Maitaki (Hen Of The Woods) mushroom  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Jackitup

Maitaki (Hen Of The Woods) mushroom
« on: September 30, 2009, 12:50:26 PM »
This was the small one. Got a couple others 10+ pounds and have found 25 pound clumps in the past. Believe me when I say, you would step on a morel to get some of these. They tear apart like string cheese and have a very nice meaty texture and the flavor and aroma is like the smell of the deep woods after a rain, very earthy. Hands down one of the best mushrooms out there and right now is prime time for picking. They grow in 5-30 pound clumps, Aug thru Nov or hard freeze. Usually against the base of trees. If you're out in the woods this time of year watch for them.
Tonite homemade scratch pasta with shrooms and fresh tomatoes, and the weekend will be a mushroom pie.
Yes you should be jealous ;-)
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jackitup

Re: Maitaki (Hen Of The Woods) mushroom
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 01:24:57 PM »
here's another pic

Offline 2112

• Pizza is our friend!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 12:30:36 PM »
Yes you should be jealous ;-)

Yup, that would be correct.

Looks like you might be over your limit so I will be down this weekend to relieve you of your excess.

We would hate to get the 'Shroom' police involved, correct?   :-D

Good job Jon!!

Vince
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left!

Offline pacoast

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 02:25:12 PM »
Nice. They are impressive looking.

Actually, I've noticed several of these while hiking locally. Sadly, I don't know enough about wild mushroom identification to go pick them though. I have no idea if there might be something poisonous that looks similar. I guess I'll have to stick to safer pursuits like skydiving for now.

Offline 2112

• Pizza is our friend!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 02:45:37 PM »

I was just looking up some information on the 'Hen of the Woods' and it would seem that they are not easily mistaken for other fungus.

Like Morels, it would seem that they are hard to misconstrue with other shrooms.

I may have found another fall hobby..........Who knew!!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 03:35:54 PM »
You are correct sir. The first time I seen one several years ago up by Siren WI I knew what it was right away. Found one about 7 pounds or so and the other about 25 pounds. Re-checked in my mushroom book and online and there aren't any very close and is considered a "choice edible". This one was given to me by a buddy and it definitely got me thinking about going for a walk in the woods!!! The fresh pasta sauce and mushrooms with homemade noodles last nite was awesome.....
Jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 04:19:37 PM »
Oh, and word of warning.....with any wild mushroom, limit you alcohol intake with any large amounts of wild mushrooms, you WILL be sorry with a big case of GI upset. You'll blow up like a balloon. On the other hand you will be the pride and joy of your buddies as the King of farting for the nite. Almost emptied a bar one nite during a pool tournament. Ate a huge bowl of morels and onions with some steak that day and went to shoot pool and drink beer....thought I was going to die.....them too!!!
Jon  :-X :-D

Offline 2112

• Pizza is our friend!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 02:46:59 PM »
Jon,

That is too funny.  :-D

No wonder the Morels and the Citron gave me all that gas. Now when I look back on this springs Morel fest and drink-a-thon I can see why I had a world class case of the wind!!

I have taken note and will segregate such activities at futher events.

Vince

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 03:01:23 PM »
Now that's weird, My email beeped that you responded to the post just as Andrew Zimmerman on Bizarre Foods picked a 4-5 pound Maitake......Big batch of chili today in my 10 gal. stainless montster. I'll have to have the neighbor come over to help lift it off the stove again.....
Jon