Author Topic: Building a Mobile wood fired oven  (Read 20937 times)

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

Re: Building a Mobile wood fired oven
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 08:49:49 PM »
I think the WFO really adds to the overall feel of the business...it gives it Unique Selling Point in the fact that it's wood fired and the fact that it's Mobile. I like the idea of the Inferno...I THINK the cost though would probably be higher.
"Simplicity is Complexity Resolved"

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 09:09:06 PM »
One of my favorites is still  www.biggreentruckpizza.com
Nothing against streetza but I like classic not a step van impinger or small 2 deck.
the people sure looked like they were having fun ?? in that video, Base on my past experience I am sure those slices tasted great at that point.
Great job guys pizza for all!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pacoast

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 09:35:24 PM »
One of my favorites is still  www.biggreentruckpizza.com

They were one of the first, if not the very first to put a wood burning oven on a truck & got a ton of press for it. They used a Mugnaini (Valoriani) oven & had all of their stuff custom fabricated locally. Since then, half a dozen people that I know e.g. Nomad, Pies on Wheels, Old World, et al have more or less copied their idea.

I don't know if any of them are getting insanely rich but I do like the concept. And as far as I know all were built to order locally. I'm not aware of anyone who has really made a business out putting wood burning ovens on a truck. On the other hand there are a ton of people selling trailer mounted ovens out there.

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 09:46:53 PM »
I like the word custom fabricated...it demystifies the whole process of putting an oven on a trailer.

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 05:52:02 AM »
And I guess I'm thinking I"M NOT necessarily going to build it, I'm looking to get a custom trailer guy to manufacturer one for me, buy a pre-cast oven from Forno or Mugnani, and have a professional mason install it on the trailer.

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 09:36:16 AM »
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 04:36:59 PM »
I potentially two issues with the two stone...the first being approval by the health department and the second is the marketability of it. A WFO is in and of itself marketable without doing a whole lot to it. I think people love the idea of it...

JJerrier....can you chime in and add to this...what is the response you get from a WFO that is mobile?

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 05:07:51 PM »
I think the health dept would probably be OK with 2 Stone....it's not so much the cooking method with them as it is the holding temperatures of potentially hazardous food items.  You'd probably have more of an issue with the fire dept if you are using propane to fire them.  The fire marshall is less worried about the wood-burning (as long as you are 10 ft from a building) than he is about propane tanks exploding.  I would worry about throughput with 2 stone...I can do 5 pizzas in 90 seconds in my oven...so I guess you'd need 5 2 stones??

I think mobile pizza gets a lot of interest from the media...we've been in newspapers, magazines, TV, and blogs without spending a penny on marketing.  Having a WFO really takes it up a notch - and attracts more of a high end crowd.  It's great for catering private events - but most people at fairs and festivals may not be looking for artisan pizza (farmers markets yes, state fair - no, unless it's deep fried).

The mobile business has been really good in Dallas.

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 05:21:25 PM »

(farmers markets yes, state fair - no, unless it's deep fried).

LOL! I've heard this from others as well. State fairs are rough. How does humidity affect the product?

I think I'm pretty sold on the WFO. The two stone is interesting, and I'm sure it cooks the pies well, but not so romantic. And I have the area for it too. I live in one of the most populated & wealthiest parts of the country...I'm positive it would be a hit.

I'm wondering now who might know a trailer manufacturer .... and also a mason to get their take on the feasibility of this project. Obviously it is doable, because others have done it...but do you need a collaboration between the trailer builder and the mason?...or can I just go to a builder and say "here is my dimensions, please build me this trailer. And then go to the mason and have him put it on the rig. What's the most vital information someone might need to get this done?

I would love to just purchase one from Joseph, and not have to worry about organizing this myself...but cost may be the biggest issue getting into something like this.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:12:20 PM by Chef_Boy-R-Dee »

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline telehort

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 11:27:49 PM »
Cost is a concern and in all fairness I do have an oven from Joseph, but something to think about is liability if something happens to your trailer going down the road.  Just 2 weeks ago in our area a person who put a wood fired oven on the back of a trailer which was not designed for it, had the tongue break and it wound up in the ditch.  There was no fire in it and I myself didn't get over to see it in time, (I wanted to get a picture) but 2 guys from the landscaping yard across the street from where it happened said it was a heck of a mess.  Make sure that the trailer manufacturer that you find is going to stand behind his product if there is failure. I have been lucky enough a few months ago to actually see the plant where the trailers are made for Joseph and then meet with the mason who does the work.  They do spend a lot of time on design and are always looking for feedback and ways to improve the product.  I guess I am trying to say, you are right, it can be done cheaper but just make sure there will be support if you have issues.

Offline sagirvin

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 02:43:06 PM »
I suppose you could build it yourself but why?  Unless you are very good at trailer structural design or know someone who is and is willing to help you, you're taking a risk in your investment.  I have a trailer from Joseph and just came back from a seminar in Boulder CO where I met Carl Maxey who's firm designs and builds the trailer.  These are rock solid trailers that are designed to do one thing, carry a WFO.  The are certified and warrantied.  I have a 40" Concessionaire model and am very please with it.  I got it the first week of Aug and have done 1 catering and 1 concession event.  At the concession event I sold about 150 7" pizzas at an average of $7 without drink.  This event had about 1500 people attending from 10am-4pm.  I am doing two events in Oct that will average around 15000 people, so I hope to sell at least 500 pies at each.  My point is, if you do the business right you will make back the extra investment pretty quickly and get to market sooner with peace of mind on the structural integrity when you're going 70 mph down the road with a very heavy oven behind you.  There are a lot of different options that Joseph offers on the trailers that you may not think of if you design it yourself(I know I didn't).  I have less than $25K invested into a business that can conservatively gross $8000 per month, at a 45-50% profit margin(or better as time goes on).  And that's with keeping my day job and working 2 or 3 Sat a month.  Whatever you decide to do, best of luck to you, it's an enjoyable gig.

Scott.

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 05:04:40 PM »
Thanks for all of the posts...it seems there is a mixed bag of supporters and people that wouldn't dare to try it themselves. Ironically the naysayers are pro-joseph...has he brainwashed you or something!!! :-D Just kidding...I know he makes a heck of a product!! But if something happens to your investment...that is why you have insurance right?! We talk about liability...but if something ever happened to your oven after the warranty, you would be in the same place potentially as me.

Following up on Bill's post in regards to the BBQ community, thousands of people throw BBQ's on trailers. Now why can't thousands throw a WFO on a trailer?

Anyone that has built a WFO in their backyard, how is the oven attached to the base?

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline Matthew

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 05:23:57 PM »

Anyone that has built a WFO in their backyard, how is the oven attached to the base?

Mine is not attached; it is sitting on the stand.

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 05:56:47 PM »
@Matthew - what kind of oven is that?

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline Matthew

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 06:10:25 PM »
@Matthew - what kind of oven is that?

I'm not sure who the manufacturer is, but it's manufactured in Portugal.

Matt

Offline telehort

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 08:03:12 PM »
you are right about people throwing bbq's on trailers, but there is also a huge load difference.  I am guessing but I would bet that most homemade BBQ's weight somewhere in the 300-500lb range without trailer where as my oven comes in about a ton before the trailer.  There are many smokers that also weigh this much on a commercial basis but are designed for that load on a trailer.  I am certainly not trying to be a nay-sayer, just trying to throw my 2 cents out there in hopes that there is some value to it whether you build one yourself or buy one.
On the flip side i also cook in competitive bbq contests and I can tell you that I wouldn't eat off half of the home made trailers that I see showing up to contests..something about a somewhat rusty old oil barrel that has been converted just doesn't look appealing..the guy might make great Que'..I just don't want to see where it comes from.

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »
@telehort - thanks for the post. I appreciate your wisdom since you own one of these trailers.

I guess it breaks down to this though. Once you learn how to do something that you had no idea how to do before...it becomes easier. Same holds true with building an oven...or anything for that matter. Once you learn what the basic components are, the terminology, the parts, what the steps are in building it, and major things to consider...you can put something together. The second time around, you become more efficient...you'll have the knowledge and develop muscle memory. You learn what to do differently, and you improve the process. I think the major difference with me wanting to put my oven together, is I'm not doing any of the actual work...I'm leaving that to the experts. There is no way I would want to build a trailer, or cast an oven....I just want to act as the general contractor and organize everything....but with this role comes the task of discovering and uncovering every bit of information that is essential to the success of the project.

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2009, 02:33:09 PM »
Who has built there own WFO....JConk? You have right? How was this for you? Was it challenging?

Anyone else?

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 02:42:10 PM »
I built my own... with a cousin's help.  It was fun, interesting, but by no means easy.  Of course, we did a barrel style with no mortar, so the arches were difficult.  Pictures here

I'm sorry, here's a better link Click Here
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:00:50 AM by UnConundrum »

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 08:18:37 AM »
I built a small dome with mortar.  i could probably stand on it  but I don't think it'd make it out of my driveway on a trailer!!!! (force ok, Vibrations bad!)

Building a trailer is not difficult though  ;D

But in all seriousness,the pros make it look pretty, functional and safe.  Those all go a long way.    If the oven is $5k (not sure if that is right), a custom trailer is at least $3k, if The Fire Within sells trailers for $10k I would say you probably are going to spend that $2K in headaches.

Just curious, where are you located?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 08:28:36 AM by pcampbell »
Patrick