Author Topic: Tried this recipe last week under Buddy's or Shield's..could anyone help  (Read 1746 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
I posted last week about the pizza I made under Buddy's or Shield's.  I wasn't satisfied with how my results were.  Can anyone help me with this recipe or direct me to another one that they found helpful to make a Sicilian Style with an airy crust?
This is the post I wrote last week.

I used this recipe for making a Sicilian style pizza yesterday.  I made the dough on Monday.  The first pie I made was dressed first with cheese and then the tomato sauce.  The second pie I made I dressed with tomato sauce then the cheese.  The bottom was nice and crispy, but I wasn't satisfied with the crust or the handling of the dough. The dough seemed to dry to me even though the hydration was 64.111%.  I would like an airy and light crust.  Could anyone one point me in the right direction or change this recipe or another recipe under Sicilian that helped them?
This is what I used and how I converted it for my Sicilian.

Flour (100%):
Water (63.1111%):
IDY (0.3951%):
Salt (2.1875%):
Olive Oil (0.88183%):
Sugar (2.08333%):
Total (168.65886%):
   255.15 g  |  9 oz | 0.56 lbs
161.03 g  |  5.68 oz | 0.35 lbs
1.01 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.33 tsp | 0.11 tbsp
5.58 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
2.25 g | 0.08 oz | 0 lbs | 0.5 tsp | 0.17 tbsp
5.32 g | 0.19 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.33 tsp | 0.44 tbsp
430.33 g | 15.18 oz | 0.95 lbs | TF = N/A

I entered a square pan measuring 12.5 inches by 12.5 inches under the rectangular pan.  This is the formula I got under the Lehmann Pizza Dough Calculation Tool.  I wanted to make 3 balls of dough.  I bowl residue compensation of 1.5.

Flour (100%):    926.02 g  |  32.66 oz | 2.04 lbs
Water (63.1111%):    584.42 g  |  20.61 oz | 1.29 lbs
IDY (0.3951%):    3.66 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.21 tsp | 0.4 tbsp
Salt (2.1875%):    20.26 g | 0.71 oz | 0.04 lbs | 4.22 tsp | 1.41 tbsp
Oil (0.88183%):    8.17 g | 0.29 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.81 tsp | 0.6 tbsp
Total (166.57553%):   1542.52 g | 54.41 oz | 3.4 lbs | TF = 0.1160744
Single Ball:   514.17 g | 18.14 oz | 1.13 lbs

These are the pictures.

Thanks, Norma

I forgot to add I did par bake the crust first and then add the dressings.
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Tried this recipe last week under Buddy's or Shield's..could anyone help
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 04:11:14 PM »
Norma,

I noted that you used the dough formulation that was originally posted in the Buddy's/Shield's thread by member BDoggPizza at Reply 17 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3783.msg62787.html#msg62787 and that I converted to baker's percent format in Reply 19 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3783.msg62820.html#msg62820. I double checked your numbers using the Lehmann dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html and confirmed that your numbers are correct, although I noted that you omitted the sugar that BDoggPizza calls for in his recipe. That recipe is intended to replicate a Buddy's style pizza. I don't know if that is what you are trying to do, since you previously posted your recipe in the Buddy's/Shield's thread, but that recipe uses a different dough preparation and management method than used at Buddy's. The BDoggPizza method is more like one that Tom Lehmann would recommend, in that it uses cold fermentation after the dough has been prepared, and the dough is panned after the period of cold fermentation.

By contrast, from what I have read at the Buddy's/Shield's thread, Buddy's apparently pans the dough right after it has been removed from the mixer (possibly with some form of "double knead" before panning). It also seems that Buddy's uses at least some of the dough at room temperature after a few hours, for example, for the lunch crowd, although I suspect that some of the pans of dough can be put into the cooler to extend their useful lives (as I understand it, the dough is made and used the same day).

So, how you achieve the results you are after may depend on what you are trying to achieve--a Buddy's style pizza or a more traditional Sicilian style pizza. I personally have researched and studied both styles but have not done much with either because it seems to me from my research that such styles are likely to benefit significantly from using bromated flours in order to get the desired rise in the dough before baking the pizza.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 10:17:46 PM »
Peter,
I did omit the sugar, but didn't know how that would effect the dough.  The dough was okay to work with but the taste wasn't what I was looking for. 
I do want to make a more traditional Sicilian style pizza.  I tried to purchase some King Arthur Sir Lancelot Unbleached Hi-Gluten last week from my supplier.  They didn't have any of that product, but do carry it.  I did buy some Kyrol to try and I also have the All Trumps.  I know they both are bromated and I want to try and get away from using these flours. 
Since you haven't done too much with this style of pizza, could you point me to a recipe that I could try? 
Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 10:41:47 PM »
Since you haven't done too much with this style of pizza, could you point me to a recipe that I could try? 

Norma,

When I was researching recipes for the Sicilian style pizza, both on and off of the forum, I couldn't make up my mind as to which recipe I would try first. Usually, I try several different recipes within a given style to learn as much as I can about that style and to determine what appeals to me the most. However, I thought that one of the recipes at the thread started by sourdough girl at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5656.0.html would be a good place to start. Also, I was drawn to the method of making a Sicilian dough as described by member quidoPizza at Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3805.msg32800.html#msg32800. I believe that that method should work with most Sicilian dough recipes.

I believe that there are many other members of the forum with much greater experience than I with the Sicilian pizza style who can steer you in the right direction based on the results they have achieved with various Sicilian style dough recipes.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 11:04:45 PM »
Peter,
I think I will start with sourdough girl's recipe.  I will read the whole thread and then go from there. 
Thanks,
Norma