Author Topic: How much should the dough rise in the refrigerator?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Crusty

• It's all about CRUST
How much should the dough rise in the refrigerator?
« on: February 22, 2005, 06:03:53 PM »
I place the the lightly oiled dough in the refrigerator for the 24 hour proof but do not see much rise in the dough even after 24 hours.  The yeast is relatively fresh and is kept in a sealer jar in the refrigerator..

What should the dough look like after 24 hours ?

Also, I use the Lehman modified recipe with 1/4t of IDY.

Thanks,

Crusty

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: How much should the dough rise in the refrigerator?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 07:46:29 PM »
Crusty,

I think your dough should be OK. When I was in Mexico recently and my daughter-in-law made a Lehmann NY style dough (but using local all-purpose flour), the dough hardly rose at all the whole time it was in the refrigerator. She expressed concern but because I had witnessed the same phenomenom myself more than once before, I told her not to worry. I could tell by just pressing the dough when it started to warm up that it was alive and well. And the dough and the pizzas turned out just fine.

There are a lot of variables from the time mixing and kneading starts and the dough comes out of the refrigerator that govern how much the dough will rise at different stages, even when you think you are carefully following the script at every step along the line. There are times when the dough rises about 25 percent while in the refrigerator and other times where it hardly rises at all. But in all cases where this happened, the dough handled well and the pizzas turned out fine. It's in my nature to try to decipher why things happen the way they do, but I don't always come up with a good answer.

Peter

Offline Crusty

• It's all about CRUST
Re: How much should the dough rise in the refrigerator?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 08:32:07 PM »
Thanks Peter.  I just finished making a pie with the suspect dough I mentioned and it turned out fine. 

Crusty

pizzapan