Author Topic: DKM Recipe  (Read 10643 times)

Offline ThunderStik

Re: DKM Recipe
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 02:50:45 PM »
Pete, you know im never careful.  >:D
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 04:25:34 PM »
Here are some photos of a more recent attempt using the new DKM thin crust recipe (see my earlier post in this thread).  I think I actually made this pizza back in January.  I used a pizza screen this time instead of a cutter pan just to see what would happen.  The final result was very good! :chef:

Toppings were 1/2 Italian sausage (local brand), 1/2 pepperoni, with mushrooms throughout.  Cheese was a typical blend that I use of mozzarella, cheddar, and provolone.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 06:40:39 PM »
Here are some photos of a more recent attempt using the new DKM thin crust recipe (see my earlier post in this thread).  I think I actually made this pizza back in January.  I used a pizza screen this time instead of a cutter pan just to see what would happen.  The final result was very good! :chef:

Toppings were 1/2 Italian sausage (local brand), 1/2 pepperoni, with mushrooms throughout.  Cheese was a typical blend that I use of mozzarella, cheddar, and provolone.

Mad_Ernie,

Great looking pie.  :)  I bet that really tasted great.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 10:54:53 PM »
I have not thought about using my screen for the cracker crust.  I will give it a try this coming week.

Randy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 04:27:25 PM »
Mad Ernie, did you parbake the crust using the screen?

Randy

Offline mzimm

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 08:18:54 PM »
Here is the one I did last week.

16 ounces bread flour
6 ounces water, 90 F
0.75 ounce vegetable oil

Because these are so light I use volume
teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons active dry yeast

Pour 75% of the water and all of the oil into the mixer bowl.
In a second bowl, mix the yeast with the remaining water and allow to proof for 5 minutes.
In the mixer bowl, add the flour, salt, sugar, powdered milk and the yeast mixture.
Mix on slow speed for 10 minutes.
The should be dry and it will not form into a cohesive ball bu instead it will be scrappy looking.
Place dough into a sealed bucket and allow to rise for a minimum of 9 to 24 hours at room temperature.

I followed the recipe above, everything was scaled and used Better for Bread flour.  Everything turned out perfect EXCEPT for the cooking process. 

The final result was a very rigid, dry and dense crust - I believe I may may have overcooked it (wasn't burnt at all).  Oven was set to 500, pie was in cutter pan on bottom rack. First I par baked for 5 minutes and then baked for 12 minutes.  What did I do wrong that make the crust turn out like this?

Any help on what method to try next would be appreciated.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 05:29:26 PM »
Dough may have been to thin.

This is a "cracker" crust.  When the crust is done it should be about the same thinkness of a cracker (Saltine or even a Ritz)

Too often, despite warnings, I have noticed people want to roll the dough as thin as they can.

DKM
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 05:06:42 PM by DKM »
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline patflynn

• Chicago Thin and Crackery is where its at!
    • State Street Pizza Kitchen
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 01:17:18 PM »
Dough may have been to thin.

This is a "cracker" crust.  When the crust is done it should be about the same thinkness of a cracker (Saltine or even a Ritz)

Too often, despite warnings, I have noticed people want to roll the dough as thin as they can.

DKM

I am new to these boards. Too thin on the cracker crust makes it too soft. there is a sweet spot that crispifies the bottom, leaves a thin 'bready' layer in the middle, and then the toppings cook above. Too thin and you will never get that middle layer.
Making the leap to Pizza Professional from the Amateur Ranks

pizzapan