Author Topic: Vigorous Rolling/Complete Degassing....  (Read 985 times)

Offline pizzablogger

Vigorous Rolling/Complete Degassing....
« on: October 06, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Hello peoples!  :)

I've been noticing a growing trend among pizzerias in the Mid Atlantic, particularly newer ones, where thin crust is the favored style. But this is a type of thin I do not recall seeing in years past.

The most noticeable aspect is the vigor that is put into rolling out the dough with a wooden pin just prior to dressing the skins and firing the pizzas. The rolling is so thorough that the pizza is virtually entirely degassed, even at the outer rim/end crust where no sauce is put on.

The resultant pizzas are incredibly thin, a bit thinner than even a Pizza Hut type cracker crust. The pizzas are often as thin as a wafer, like a motzah or levash, with barely any rise at the rim whatsover. While the rise at the end crust is very small, the resultant degassing causes one large, thin oval air pocket which entirely subsumes the "crumb" (meaning there is no crumb), which causes the entire inside of the crust to completely dry out, leaving a motzah like brittle crunch and, often, a powdery and very dry finish, with the texture as it cools becoming downright leathery.

Can anyone point out where this type of style may have originated?

Am I missing something? Thanks as always! --PB
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:55:13 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: Vigorous Rolling/Complete Degassing....
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 08:07:55 PM »
Blogger,  that sounds like Bertuccis up in the northeast,  which used to make a pretty good pizza,  but always flattens thier dough with a pin.  I think the popularity of this style probably has to do with the lo-carb trends from a few years back,  but who knows. -marc

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:07:01 AM »
I started eating at bertucci's in the original somerville location before it was a chain back in 89.   Damn that was amazing pizza back before it was sold to pepsi or coke, or whoever bought it.   The real bertucci's pizza was always hand tossed, and in the early days the wood burning ovens were pumping.  They were 4 minute pizzas back then, and the ingredients were really high end compared to what they are using now. Unfortunately it has been a steady decline ever since it was sold.  I have even seen them sink to levels I never thought possible like par baking the skins.....so sad.    Last year the ripped out most of the original wood burning ovens and replaced them with gas fired woodstones with fake logs in them.  It seems as if the only thing remaining from the old days is the sauce, which is still pretty amazing, and is a custom tomato blend made only for them by one of the big california producers.   

I have found the rolling pin pizza all over the country, so im not sure it is a regional thing like most styles.   I have a felling its just a shortcut taken by people that don't have the skills to hand form a skin. 

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 04:37:57 PM »
Hey s00da.....even thinner than that.  :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell