Author Topic: My first thin tonight  (Read 2042 times)

Offline mvnolan

My first thin tonight
« on: October 08, 2009, 06:52:45 PM »
Okay, trying my first thin tonight.  Been watching this site for awhile and finally decided to give it a shot.  Followed the DKM thin, and while it didn't look like it rose AT ALL, it sure rolled out nice.  The recipe actually made two 14" pies for me, with just a small piece left over.  It came out of the food processor looking like wet cornmeal, which ya'll say it should, so we'll see.  Today is my birthday, so people coming over later, so I rolled out dough, put in pan and put in fridge till people start to show.  I will take pics both pre and post cook.  I didn't oil the pan yet, because I didn't want the dough to absorb it while in the fridge.  It wasn't sticky at all, so hopefully it will come out easily to let me oil the pan once it gets back to room temp.  I am just using Hormel pepperoni and Sargento mozz and provalone since it's a first try.  Mainly just want to get a feel for the dough.  Wish me luck, pics to come later.   ;D

update:  I forgot to add the sugar, how much of a difference is that gonna make?  Slight, or throw it away and order pizza?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 07:09:30 PM by mvnolan »

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: My first thin tonight
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 09:19:47 AM »
mvnolan,

I hope you went ahead and made the pizza even without the sugar.  It should not be a disaster, and you might even like it. ;)
Let them eat pizza.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 10:58:49 AM »
My experience with this dough is it does not rise much until removed from fridge for like 3-4 hrs prior to cooking then just a little hope you enjoy!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline mvnolan

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 12:17:36 AM »
Well, didn't take pics, turned out okay, but no air pockets.  I think the water was too hot and killed the yeast.  Moving over the next couple of weeks, but will try again in the new place.  I love this forum, and am getting kind of addicted to learning how to make my own pizza.  Lots more to come, and I promise, pics next time. ;D

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 01:12:38 AM »
No pics, then it does not exist.
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 09:17:59 PM »
I love this forum, and am getting kind of addicted to learning how to make my own pizza. ;D

This is where you'll find fellow addicts.  Keep on trying - experience will be your best teacher.  :chef:
Let them eat pizza.

Offline BTB

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »
Okay, trying my first thin tonight . . . so I rolled out dough, put in pan and put in fridge till people start to show
I highly suggest that you do not roll out the dough and put it in the pan and then in the refrigerator if I understood correctly.  Cold dough does not bake up right in my experience normally (with a few exceptions).  And I don't like the skin rolled out long in advance of baking it either.  I would take the dough ball out of the refrigerator (if I refrigerated at all) about 90 minutes before baking, roll it out and put it onto a slightly oiled and/or corn mealed pan (preferably a cutter pan), dock the skin with a docker or fork, preferably par bake for a few minutes, "dress" the pizza with sauce, toppings, spices and cheese, then bake on a low rack until cheese starts to lightly brown.  I prefer a tiny amount of sugar in the formulation, but it is not critical that you forgot such.

Get a small cooking thermometer and use ADY with water warmed to between 100 and 110 degrees F.

I think you'll get this great pizzamaking venture down pat in no time.     --BTB