Author Topic: I envy you for having KA  (Read 1953 times)

Offline s00da

I envy you for having KA
« on: December 02, 2009, 03:22:57 PM »
I bought my first and most probably last 2 bags of king arthur flour. It will be a dangerous habit considering shipping charges. But, I had to try what seems to be the default flour on this forum.

Tonight's pizza was made with KA bread flour (there is also a KASL waiting ;D). The dough is simple: 65.5% hydration, 1.5% salt and 0.03% IDY. Dough was fermented in room temp for 24 hours at 76 F.

As a celebration  :P I made fresh mozzarella from the highest-fat raw milk I know around. One gallon yielded a 650g of shiny mozzarella loaf!

It was a simple margherita. No basil as the weather is colder now and I substituted that with dried marjoram and thyme. A drizzle of Lebanese EVOO was a must. Less is more, specially when the ingredients are of high quality.

I envy you guys for KA flour and it hurts that you even dust with it  :'( Comparing it to GM bread, the flavor isn't very far but definitely better. What I really loved about KA bread is the chew. Yes! the dough is much easier to work with. I didn't worry a bit about it tearing.

Images below...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:30:59 PM by s00da »

Offline s00da

Re: I envy you for having
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:25:32 PM »
more...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: I envy you for having KA
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 04:56:28 PM »
sOOda,
Your recent pie using the KA bread flour sure look delicious.  :) With the fresh made dollops of fresh mozzarella, it looks like perfection to me.  Your pictures are great, too.
Great job,
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 09:47:14 PM »
that pizza looks really good. what method do you use to make your cheese? what is your tomato  sauce base ? sorry i am nosey .

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 10:58:57 PM »
Saad,

I don't know where you're located but if you have a Safeway around, they sell the KABF flour. Well, at least here in California.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 11:06:38 PM »
Saad lives in the middle east IIRC.
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline s00da

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 05:28:45 PM »
that pizza looks really good. what method do you use to make your cheese? what is your tomato  sauce base ? sorry i am nosey .

thezaman, sorry for the late reply.

My mozza procedure is posted here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9053.msg78321.html#msg78321    it was actually posted for you  ;D

The sauce was the Passata on this link http://www.epicure.co.uk/products/tomatoes/

Saad

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 01:24:16 PM »
s00da,

We lost our local wholesale KASL supplier and I just finished my 50 pound sack, which cost me $15.  I agree that it is too expensive to ship in, so I bought another brands 13.5% protein flour and the results are decent, but not quite as nice as KASL.  See what else you can find locally.  while KASL is awesome, there are other products that are quite good too.

Jack

Offline smarttowers

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 06:10:11 PM »
For those who are looking for the KASL you might check your local bakeries I've read on here before that some of the members have been able to purchase bags from them. Think some said they were able to have it delivered to one of the normal stops from cisco or whatever and just picked it up there also. Can't recall the thread but if you want it Pete-zza seems to be great at knowing where stuff is and searching the forums and he may be of assistance.

Offline EJB

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 06:29:36 AM »
For anyone in New England check out Bakers Pantry in Framingham, MA, 50 pounds of KASL for around $25.00 if you pick it up. (508) 877-9001