Author Topic: visit to Lombardi's  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Tom Grim

• I Love Pizza!
visit to Lombardi's
« on: February 24, 2005, 03:03:32 PM »
       I spent 5 days in NY and tried two pizzas.  I would like to report in.   I have never been to Lombardi's but have heard so much about it.  Four of us went there two nights ago.  It is set up like a tourist attraction.  It has magazine articles posted all over the windows and a sign that declares it to be the first pizza in the country.   I was hoping for a more modesty, more sublety.  We signed up for a 15 minute wait, and had a drink at the bar.  The bartender was miserable, and my tip did not improve his mood.
      We sat down and ordered 2 large pizzas and one small clam pizza.  The waiter refused to let us order that much, because they make big pizzas.  We told him we would take the left overs  home, but he still refused.  We gave up and ordered one large and one small. 
     I asked the waiter where the oven was, and he told me where to see it.  I went around the corner and down and peeked into the kitchen.  I could see the massive coal oven from a distance.  The waiter then came by and told me I could go into the kitchen.  It was very busy in there.  3 or 4 pizza makers  and  peel with a 6 ft handle put pizzas in the giant oven.  I asked them how long it took to make pizzas and they told me it took 3 or 4 minutes.  I couldn't stay long because I felt that I was  getting in the way.
    Our pizzas came really fast.  They were big, as promised.  The first thing I noticed was that the pizzas had a LOT of sauce.  IMHO, sauce should be used sparingly.  The crust looked good, and tasted good, but it wasn't great. 
    On the whole, I was dissapointed.  Maybe my expectations were too high.  I spend the whole evening thinking that that oven should be turning out world class pizza, not good (not great)  crust with too much sauce.  Sad.

Offline bigpix

Re: visit to Lombardi's
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 03:08:49 PM »
Sorry to hear about your visit there. I was there Sunday night and it was fantatic. Maybe it was the pies you had or maybe it's not what you expected.
To each his own right?

bigpix

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 03:24:55 PM »
Tom,
Here's a tip from Ed Levine who wrote "Pizza, a Slice of Heaven."

"So here's my recipe for getting the most out of Lombardi's. When you order your pies make them large, even if you are by yourself (you won't regret it in the morning). The small pies do not bake as well. Specify you want your crust chewy and puffy. If you order a clam pie, ask them to go very light on the clams. And if your pizza does come with a flat, soggy crust, send it back. Think of it as a steak that's been overcooked. If you follow these simple instructions, you will get your slice(s) of heaven at the oldest pizzeria in America."
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Tom Grim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 04:02:30 PM »
Bigpix,
     I don't mean to bash Lomardi's.   I did enjoy the pizza, and it is better than anything I have had in New Jersey, but I had really high expectations from all I have read.  If I  had just happened into the place and ordered a pizza, I would have been extrermely happy. 
     I think it was the massive amount of sauce that ruined it for me.  When it comes to sauce, I think less is  more.  Everyone in my party liked the pizza and we had no trouble finishing all but one slice.
Tom

Offline bigpix

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 01:33:11 AM »
Where are you in NJ and where do you get great pie?

Offline Tom Grim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 11:10:15 AM »
    I am in Princeton, NJ and we have De Larenzo's in Trenton.   It has been around since the 20's.  They serve pizza and thats it.   No bathroom, bad service.  Decent but not great pizza.
     A local place we go to in town is Conti's in Princeton.  Great for a local place, but not world class.
Tom

pizzapan