Author Topic: Choices choices  (Read 1941 times)

Offline bigpix

Choices choices
« on: February 23, 2005, 12:21:57 PM »
My new hobby is forcing me to take meetings in NYC these days. As  a result, I tend to seek out a slice or two when I schedule close to meal times. Yesteday I was faced with a major decision. I had a stop at Hudson and Spring St. This is the opposite end of Spring from Lombardis but certainly close enough for a visit. Even though my first visit there was just a couple of days ago I was seriously considering gong there.
After all said and done, I opted for another choice since I don't think you can get slices at Lombardis and I didn't want to take any left overs home.
My second choice was a stop at Joe's. Since I was heading uptown it seemed like a great idea to me. I drove by the shop and looked for a place to park. I found a metered spot two blocks away and dropped my change into the meter. The meter wasn't working and since it was almost 9pm I figured I'd be safe from a ticket if I was quick about it.
I walked quickly to Joes and ordered a slice of Margh. and two of plain. Once I had my order I nearly jogged up the ave to the Jeep. I went for the first slice of cheese which was still REALLY hot. On the first bite I could tell that the bottom was charred and perhaps over done from the reheat. It still tasted great so I didn't care. I did leave a bit of crust over from that slice because it was too done for me. On to the Margh. slice which folks was what I picture in my minds as nearly perfect pie. It was intensely flavorful throughout. The cheese is intense and after a couple of bites I decided to put that one back in the box and have the second cheese slice. I savored all three slices bite by bite and even went back in search of the bit of crust that I threw into the box. I should have ordered in the reverse and had two marghs. and one cheese or better yet. two and two. I may just go for Margh. only next time which should be very soon.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re: Choices choices
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 12:31:06 PM »
You're talking about the new Joe's on Sixth Avenue and Carmine, right?  I ate there a ton of times, and I always thought it was way overrated.

Try Ben's (around the corner from Joe's, on W. 3rd Street and MacDougal St).  To get there:

Start at Joe's, cross Sixth Avenue and walk with traffic north a few steps until you see the basketball courts, then make a right and walk past the McDonalds.  One block later, you're at Ben's.  Unless Joe's has suddenly jumped in quality since I was last there, you'll find Ben's awesome if you liked Joe's.

Cheers,
Dave

Offline bigpix

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 01:27:27 PM »
I can't see Joe's as overated.  Maybe the plain slices are not the best of the best. but the Margh slices are fantastic. Compared to what? I'll check out Ben's next time for sure. I am compiling a list of pizza places and will carry a small business card sized list in my pocket for such occasions. I have another meeting on Tues. in the area and will have to make a choice once again.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 01:42:51 PM »
Hmmmm.  I'll have to try Joe's again I guess, next time I'm back in the old neighbourhood.  Maybe now that the original Joe's has closed, Giuseppe is back in direct charge of the outlet that we're talking about.  I never did try a Margh pizza there either, so it's quite possible I just haven't had the right type of pizza there.

Dave

Offline bigpix

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 03:52:34 PM »
<i>I just haven't had the right type of pizza there.
</i>

There ya go! It's pretty amazing stuff buddy. I know I've never had pie like that before and I've had a LOT of pie in my life so far.

bigpix