Author Topic: My Pizza Adventure  (Read 1313 times)

Offline bluesman

My Pizza Adventure
« on: October 16, 2009, 01:14:19 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and want to learn how to make great pizza at home. I've been lurking for some time and decided to start posting. I've made several attempts to make a New York Style pies with some success and need help from here. I made the following recipe last week using a Kitchen Aide mixer.

KA bread flour (100%), 12.75 oz. (about 2 3/4 c.)
Water (62%), 7.70 oz. (just shy of 1 c.), plus 1 T. (to compensate for the VWG)
Salt (1.75%), 0.22 oz. (about 1.10 t.)
Oil (1%), 0.12 oz. (about 3/4 t.)
IDY (0.25%), 0.31 oz. (between 1/4 and 1/3 t.)
Sugar, 0.07 oz. (about 1/2 t.)

I mixed the water with the salt first. Then slowly added the dry ingredients and mixed until I got a good consistency (about 3minutes or so). Then I added the oil and hand kneaded for about 2min. The final dough temp was about 80F +/- a degree. I then put the dough ball in a bowl covered and placed into a refrigerator fro 2 days. I then removed the dough from the fridge for about 1.5hrs and hand flattened and tossed into a 16" round. I added fresh tomato sauce and cheese and placed on a pizza screen on the top oven rack (preheated @ 550F for 1 hr) for 3 min, then transferred to a stone for another 5 min +/-. I want to attach a photo, but it won't let me add a hyperlink because I'm a new member. Does anyone know a way aroun that? The dough on the bottom was not as good (soft) as the outer crust, but was my best attempt so far. I want to acheive a crust similiar to Joe's Pizza, NYC.

Where do I go from here?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: My Pizza Adventure
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 04:27:14 PM »
bluesman,

As an anti-spam measure, the forum has a policy that does not permit members to use active links until the member has a total of five posts. A few more posts, and you will be there.

I am not familiar with Joe's Pizza in NYC, but it will be very difficult to get a crust like you will get at Joe's because a pizza stone in a home oven has much less thermal mass. Also, a typical home oven is deeper than a deck oven that most pizza operators use to make a NY style pizza so you unlikely to get the proper top heat. Using a pizza screen along with a pizza stone in a home oven will not get around these problems and will not yield the exact type of crust you are after. You could perhaps omit the oil in the dough formulation you used, but it is already on the low side (1%) and not likely to make a big difference if you omit it. If you can detail the features of the Joe's Pizza crust, maybe there are other ways of achieving the results you are after.

Peter

Offline bluesman

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 11:53:33 AM »
bluesman,

As an anti-spam measure, the forum has a policy that does not permit members to use active links until the member has a total of five posts. A few more posts, and you will be there.

I am not familiar with Joe's Pizza in NYC, but it will be very difficult to get a crust like you will get at Joe's because a pizza stone in a home oven has much less thermal mass. Also, a typical home oven is deeper than a deck oven that most pizza operators use to make a NY style pizza so you unlikely to get the proper top heat. Using a pizza screen along with a pizza stone in a home oven will not get around these problems and will not yield the exact type of crust you are after. You could perhaps omit the oil in the dough formulation you used, but it is already on the low side (1%) and not likely to make a big difference if you omit it. If you can detail the features of the Joe's Pizza crust, maybe there are other ways of achieving the results you are after.

Peter

Thanks

Offline bluesman

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 11:54:33 AM »
I think I need to get five posts in order to attach photos.

Offline bluesman

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 11:55:29 AM »
I'll try to get some details on Joe's pizza crust and post.

Offline bluesman

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 12:01:19 PM »

Offline Tarpon65

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 12:16:04 PM »
Looks good.  I'm gonna try your recipe on my next batch of pizza's as the wife was able to find the KA Bread flour at Publix a little earlier today. 

Offline bluesman

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 10:07:37 AM »
Looks good.  I'm gonna try your recipe on my next batch of pizza's as the wife was able to find the KA Bread flour at Publix a little earlier today. 

Thanks.

On the next batch I want to try and get the crust a little thinner and crispier.