Author Topic: Fresh Mozzarella Slicer ?  (Read 7541 times)

Offline UnConundrum

Fresh Mozzarella Slicer ?
« on: October 14, 2009, 05:32:34 PM »
I know there's products out there like THIS and the Mario Batali version , but they surely won't live up to a commercial environment.  I actually bought the Batali, and loved it, until the wires stretched and wouldn't line up anymore.  There must be commercial mozzarella slicers out there.  Any suggestions/recommendations?  And yes, I am an addict.  Quality is more important than price.

Offline Matthew

Re: Fresh Mozzarella Slicer ?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
I know there's products out there like THIS and the Mario Batali version , but they surely won't live up to a commercial environment.  I actually bought the Batali, and loved it, until the wires stretched and wouldn't line up anymore.  There must be commercial mozzarella slicers out there.  Any suggestions/recommendations?  And yes, I am an addict.  Quality is more important than price.

The best tool for this is a metal griddle scraper.

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 06:36:23 PM »
Hmmm, I'd think the cheese would stick to that....

I did finally find THIS .  One version will make 3/8 cuts, another 3/4 and yet another makes both(the most expensive of course).  Anyone ever use one of these?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 06:40:37 PM »
Hmmm, I'd think the cheese would stick to that....

Not at all, my tool of choice for slicing fiore di latte & mozarella di bufala.  I have never tried it with dry mozarella.

Matt
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:42:22 PM by Matthew »

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 06:43:56 PM »
LOL, I'm a touch obsessive compulsive...  I'd probably go nuts trying to get the slices equal in size   ::)

Offline groveb

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 02:20:35 PM »
I have been trying to find the tool that is used in the Polly-o video on how to make fresh mozz from curd.   

It has multipe strings and you simply push the chesse through the wires.  I don't know the proper name for it and have not been able to find it online.

The video can be found here 

polly-ofoodservice.com/videos.asp

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 07:40:38 PM »
i have a number of a producer of that tool he is in brooklyn pasquale gave me the number i will get it this evening. if any one wants a copy of the dvd i have 4 that i will be willing ti give away. also grande is working on a fresh mozzarella log and they are including a cutting tool at introduction.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:45:08 PM by thezaman »

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 09:05:27 PM »
the company that makes that cutter is r & s stainless 718 744 7401

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 09:20:41 PM »
Groveb, this tool is called a guitar, if you buy lots of curd usually the company will give the tool to you but if you need a small  one to cut a small 1lb mozzarella they are available at stores like Bed Bath&beyond. I bought mine from Linens& things when they were closing down. If you need a picture of my little guitar  let me know.

Offline groveb

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 10:22:27 AM »
I have seen the smaller home models for slicing the 1lb balls, just wanted something a little more heavy duty.  The one from the video will likely be too much money.  doesn't seem to be anything in between on the market.  Maybe I could build one with a wood frame and stainless wire and guitar post parts.

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 04:38:02 PM »
Groveb,
I am not sure about building it with wood but I would rather try with steel frame,easier to clean and no mold will grow. Good luck

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 10:21:56 PM »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 05:06:50 PM »

I just bought one of these.  Did the wires stretch out while cutting fresh mozarella or was it caused from cutting dry cheese?

Matt

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 05:13:15 PM »
Sorry, I really don't remember at this point.  It might have been trying to cut mushrooms....

Offline Matthew

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 05:21:30 PM »
Sorry, I really don't remember at this point.  It might have been trying to cut mushrooms....

No problem.  I'm guessing that it will be okay for fior di latte & mozarella di bufula.

Matt

Offline terry@dairyfab

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 02:58:23 PM »
I am researching the possibility of building a Mozz cutter or guitar, possibly to market it,  and was wondering what people are using to cut Mozz before stretching. I admit I don't know a lot about the pizza business, but have been making curd knives for use in cheese making for the last 30 plus years. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I will be at the International Pizza Expo next week in Vegas trying to learn more about your industry.

Thanks,

Terry @ Dairy Fab LLC

Offline Botch

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 02:52:07 PM »
I just bought one of these.  Did the wires stretch out while cutting fresh mozarella or was it caused from cutting dry cheese?

Matt
I had one too, and it broke within a year.  I only used it on mozzarella.  Too bad, because when it worked, it worked great. 
I cook with wine.  Sometimes I even add it to the food.  - W. C. Fields

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 04:22:54 PM »
After watching the video at Di Machele does anyone know where to get one of those chunk shredders? I've seen the ones that they have at NY style pizzerias but those shredder in long strands not the chunks like the one in the video. It's at 4:40 in the video
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pxmIFz5914" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pxmIFz5914</a>

Offline Matthew

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 04:50:07 PM »
After watching the video at Di Machele does anyone know where to get one of those chunk shredders? I've seen the ones that they have at NY style pizzerias but those shredder in long strands not the chunks like the one in the video. It's at 4:40 in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pxmIFz5914.

David,
He explains that it was designed by an engineer specifically for them.  The fior di latte from Italy is no where near what we call Fior di Latte in North America.  It's alot more dry & is not stretched; making it a virgin product.  What we buy here is technically fresh mozzarella & not fior di latte.  There is a local cheese maker in Toronto who makes a real Fior di Latte but for commercial uses only.  If you want to try something similar, try using trecce or Nodini.  They are quite similar in water content to fior di latte.  You can simply undo the braid & pull them apart in strands, then cut in desired length.

Matt

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 05:44:36 PM »
Thans Matt.