Author Topic: Fresh Mozzarella Slicer ?  (Read 7858 times)

Online Bobino414

• Supporting Member
Re: Fresh Mozzarella Slicer ?
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 07:24:32 PM »

I think two different items are being discussed in this thread-curd slicer and finished product slicer.

Re:  cutting the curd.  Thezaman suggested R & S Stainless which Pasquale from Polly-O also suggested to me.  Cost is about $250. 
When I cut up the curd last week I used a heavy chrome plated cooling rack and just pushed down on the curd slices (about 10 slices per 21 pound bag of curd).  This worked well and definitely sped up the process compared to using a knife.  In keeping with out penchant to invent, TAMPA Dave made a guitarra using a racquetball frame and kevlar string.  We will test it at the end of this week.  This is definitely  not for commercial use.

Bob

Offline Botch

• Lifetime Member
Re: Fresh Mozzarella Slicer ?
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 07:56:58 PM »
When my multi-wire cutter broke, I either used a chef's knife or my normal cheese cutter, an Amco:

http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/1043/350__1_4671-.jpg

Once I learned a trick, I now use my Amco all the time.  The trick was, when slicing a round ball of mozz, first cut the ball in half with a knife, then use the Amco on the flat face of the hemisphere; worked much easier that way.  Another benefit to the Amco is three different cutting widths; my multi-wire cut the cheese thicker than I wanted (I would just rotate the sliced ball 90 degrees, slice again, and spread the matchsticks on the pie). 
I wouldn't recommend using the Amco if you normally cook "pies for a crowd", but cooking one pie for myself, it works great. 
I cook with wine.  Sometimes I even add it to the food.  - W. C. Fields

pizzapan