Author Topic: 6 in 1 escalon vs stanislaus  (Read 2894 times)

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
6 in 1 escalon vs stanislaus
« on: March 06, 2005, 04:35:45 AM »
i found 2 local specialty grocery joints with escalon 6 in 1 ground... but no staninslaus.

has anyone compared the 2 brands?

id like to try some stanislaus sauce to see the difference.

please post online ordering sources for stanislaus if you know of any  :)

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
Re: 6 in 1 escalon vs stanislaus
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 04:40:37 AM »
while im at it....

ive been making a pretty successful sauce with escalon ground... but i'd like try combining some san marzano whole tomatoes to it... if you have any recipes for combining escalon 6 in 1 ground with san marzano peeled whole please post...

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 09:01:23 AM »
Stanislaus adds citric acid to their products, Escalon does not.

Here's the Escalon / Stanislaus cross reference chart:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,651.0.html

So, IMHO, the winner is Escalon since they do not use bitter tasting citric acid in their products.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Crusty

• It's all about CRUST
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 10:35:03 AM »
I have found Stanislaus Full Red Pizza Sauce to be absolutely outstanding.  For a NY Style Street pie I think it is the real thing.  How would 6 in 1 compare with regard to NY Style Street pizza?

Regards,

Crusty

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 04:46:56 PM »
Snowdy,

Some members have been able to find the Stanislaus tomatoes locally, for example, through a local distributor/food service company that is willing to do a cash and carry business. I believe fellow member Scampi, who is in Northern California, was able to locate a source, so it may well be that there is another source closer to you in Costa Mesa.

You should be aware, however, that to the best of my knowledge the Stanislaus tomatoes do not come in small cans, like the 28-32 oz. size. They come in #10 cans, which are around 6 lbs, 9 oz.

If that doesn't discourage you, a couple of mail-order sources for the Stanislaus tomatoes are chefswarehouse.com and pennmac.com. The Stanislaus tomatoes from both sources may have to be purchased in bulk, not by single cans. I believe that PennMac may have the broader selection of the Stanislaus tomatoes, at least judgiing from the PennMac products list I was given some time ago. You won't find the tomatoes on their website but they do a really big business with pizza operators. So, if you decide to explore further with PennMac, I suggest you call them (1-800-223-5928; 1-412-471-8330) and ask for Rose McNeil. She knows of the forum and some of its members and appears willing to quote case/volume discounts.

FYI, PennMac also carries a lot of our old and familiar favorites, like Grande cheeses, Escalon tomatoes, San Marzanos (including some DOPs), Ezzo pepperoni, high-gluten flours (But not KASL), and Bel Aria 00 flour. Remember, however, that many of these products come in large sizes, plus there is also the matter of shipping charges (from Pittsburgh).

Peter

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 11:49:57 PM by Pete-zza »