Author Topic: Wife said to not make a pizza today - here goes:  (Read 4138 times)

Offline Grilling24x7

• Grilling 24x7
Wife said to not make a pizza today - here goes:
« on: October 16, 2009, 01:11:03 PM »
My daycare provider cancelled on us today so I had to stay home and take care of the baby.  The wife said, "don't make a pizza today!  take care of the baby! you get too distracted"

Well, the baby sleeps a lot - so here's what I made.  Don't tell her :-D

It was last minute so I was noodling around the Lehmann dough emergency thread and I found this 14 inch Papa John's clone recipe formulated by Pete-zza. 

Flour (100%):347.76 g  |  12.27 oz | 0.77 lbs - I used king author bread flour.
Water (56.5%):196.48 g  |  6.93 oz | 0.43 lbs
ADY (1.5%):5.22 g | 0.18 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.38 tsp | 0.46 tbsp
Salt (1.75%): 6.09 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.09 tsp | 0.36 tbsp
Olive Oil (6.56213%): 22.82 g | 0.8 oz | 0.05 lbs | 5.07 tsp | 1.69 tbsp
Sugar (4.36023%): 15.16 g | 0.53 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.8 tsp | 1.27 tbsp
Total (170.67236%): 593.52 g | 20.94 oz | 1.31 lbs | TF = 0.136

I mixed the dry ingredients, proofed the active dry and then mixed it all together (while slightly kneading it).  I put it in the oven (the top oven which was not preheating) along with a cup of boiling water.  It was cold in here and a room temp rise would have been trouble.
After ONLY an hour of rising I pulled it out and kneaded it some more.  Then put it back in the top oven for about 15 min of rising.

The bottom oven was preheated to 550 (which turns out to only be 500 degrees) with my pizza stone for 2 hours.

I wanted to be crazy today so I sauteed some garlic, spinach and tossed in some rotisserie chicken in a frying pan.  I added this mix on top of the mozz cheese.

Lastly, I brushed some olive oil onto the rim. 

Results:  It was a very nice dough!  My only problem is the lack of flavor that I normally enjoy with my 24 hour fridge rise Lehmann doughs.  I assume this is b/c of the quick 1 hour fermentation - am I right?  The consistency was awesome and the sugar in the dough really brought out some color.  It was light, airy, and crunchy on the bottom.

Here are my pics:

John
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:12:41 PM by Grilling24x7 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Wife said to not make a pizza today - here goes:
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 02:18:20 PM »
John,

That is a very good looking pizza.

For the record, the dough formulation you used is the one that I modified and converted from volume measurements to baker's percents, at Reply 15 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7892.msg71897/topicseen.html#msg71897. I mention this because, to the best of my knowledge, you are the first member to attempt the recipe and post the results. Even I have not tried it. However, having made many Papa John's clone doughs, I know what to expect from just eyeballing the formulation. In fact, when you mentioned that it was a Papa John's clone recipe, I thought it was too until I looked at the baker's percents for the sugar and oil and saw that they were lower than what I ordinarily use for Papa John's clones. The dough formulation originated with Tom Lehmann and I simply modified it and converted it to baker's percent format. However, as I noted at the above post, the dough formulation you used is very similar to a Papa John's dough but with a thinner finished crust.

I normally wouldn't recommend the above formulation for use on a pizza stone because of the high amount of sugar in the dough and my concern that the bottom of the pizza will cook too fast and prematurely turn dark or, even worse, burn. However, I am glad you used your pizza stone to bake the pizza. That suggests that it may be safe for others to use their pizza stones to make the pizza. Even then, because different ovens perform differently, I would watch the bottom crust carefully out of an excess of caution.

You are correct about the reasons for the lack of crust flavor. One hour or so of room temperature fermentation is insufficient to develop the byproducts of fermentation that are responsible for the finished crust flavor, color, aroma and texture. One thing you could try to get more flavor is to replace the sugar with a like percent of honey. You could also use a small amount of onion and garlic powders and/or dried herbs in the dough.

Do you plan to ever tell your wife about the pizza or have you and the baby eaten all of the evidence and vacuumed up the crumbs?

Peter

Offline Grilling24x7

• Grilling 24x7
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 02:47:12 PM »
Thanks Peter! 

One additional thing to re-emphasize is that while I preheated my stone to 550, my oven is only achieving 500 degrees.  Perhaps I would have had a really burnt pizza if my oven was calibrated correctly.  I even pushed the limit a bit and left the pizza in the oven probably a bit longer than I should have.  I was so excited to see the dark rim that I wanted to let it go as long as I could.

But I am extremely impressed with the quality of this recipe considering the 1 hour rise.  I would definitely mess around with honey the next time.

Yes, I'll tell the wife.  She's a good sport.  Of course she'll think I'm nuts for having pizza for both lunch and dinner.  But I was bored - the baby fell asleep for about 4 hours straight!  Now if only the little one would do that in the middle of the night. :o

Offline Whiskyb

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 05:19:28 PM »
Not sure if it is right or not but I have used Mollasses instead of sugar for awhile now. Seems to work pretty good and definitely adds the color

Offline Crust Lust

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 08:35:33 PM »
Excellent brownage without burning Grilling 247. I usually end up with pale all over crusts, or blotches of burn on pale crust, or an overall burned crust. I'll have to try this sometime.