Author Topic: Pizza/Pie/Cobbler dough.....  (Read 974 times)

Offline jimpeterson

Pizza/Pie/Cobbler dough.....
« on: May 29, 2010, 11:49:17 AM »
Good morning, Guys...Question for any bakers out there......
When I was a kid, visiting relatives in Pennsylvania, we'd go pick blackberries and huckleberries, and the old folks would make pies or cobblers. They would make a cobbler in a deep dish, with sides about 4" high. They lined the bottom and sides with a dough that was not pie dough; it was a sweet dough, rolled out to fit the dish, and then a same dough would cover the top. I think they might have baked the dough and first, and then added the berries, and then baked again.
Has anyone baked anything similar with pizza dough? Maybe added sugar to the dough?
Round Table makes cinnamon rolls using left over pizza dough.
I posted this question on the Chef to Chef forum, one time, and nobody had done this.
All the old folks have died off years ago, taking a lotta secrets with them....
Thanks,
jim

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Pizza/Pie/Cobbler dough.....
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 04:42:26 PM »
This really isn't a pizza dough formula, but this is an old recipe that was in our family for a long while.  It was my grandmothers way she used to use strawberries and other berries. She was really old-fashioned and they only had an outhouse and she cooked on a wood stove.  I donít know if this is what you are looking for or not, but if this isnít what you are looking for, I have found many old recipes at Uncle Phaedrus Consulting Detective and Finder of Lost Recipes with the Hungry Browser Irregulars.  He even found some lost recipes I was looking for.

http://hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/mostpopular.htm

Here is how you can request lost recipes.

http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/instructions.htm

This is my grandmotherís recipe.  These instructions might sound strange, but it these are how they were given a long while ago.

Use a glass pie plate to bake

2 Ĺ cups flour-I use AP
1 egg
1 cup sugar-reserve 1/4 cup for berries to coat before placing in mixture
3 Tablespoon lard (I use Crisco solid type)
2 teaspoons baking powder full
small cup mild-this means until you get the desired consistency
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 quart berries

Mix all ingredients except berries.  Then coat with sugar berries and fold in.

Bake at 350 degrees F until finished or about 45 minutes, or when toothpick comes out clean.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan