Author Topic: A Tale of Sir Lancelot  (Read 8588 times)

Offline Trogdor33

A Tale of Sir Lancelot
« on: October 17, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »
My quest for KASL is over and I finally found a reliable and relatively inexpensive way to get it. A distributor that I saw mentioned on here called Dutch Valley Foods carries it, but it is very expensive after shipping to get a 50# bag. When I contacted them, they gave me the website that lists all the retail stores that buy from them. I simply called the nearest one, which was a small amish bulk food store and they put it on their next order to dutch valley. I just picked it up my 50# bag from them today for $26.50. It's a little pricey, but well worth it. The website is http://www.discoverbulk.com if anyone cares to check it out. Simply call up one of the stores that are listed and ask them if they can special order you a 50# bag of KASL from Dutch Valley.

Now if only it were that easy for grande cheese (which I still can't source).
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: A Tale of Sir Lancelot
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 04:12:20 PM »
where are you located?
Patrick

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 04:12:43 PM »
Southern michigan
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline pacoast

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 07:31:21 PM »
Simply call up one of the stores that are listed and ask them if they can special order you a 50# bag of KASL from Dutch Valley.

Zero stores found (within 200 miles)
I'm sure it works better in the east. King Arthur still has very little distribution in the NW.

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 08:35:27 PM »
Peter has said that he had good luck with dawn food products. I'm not sure where you are, but it looks like they are in seattle and spokane.

http://www.dawnfoods.com/Public/Managed/distribution/Locations/Index.asp

Offline verde

• Hatch Chiles
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 08:45:37 PM »
Not all Dawn outlets stock KASL.  For example, Houston does not.

Offline pacoast

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 09:02:25 PM »
Peter has said that he had good luck with dawn food products. I'm not sure where you are, but it looks like they are in seattle and spokane.

http://www.dawnfoods.com/Public/Managed/distribution/Locations/Index.asp

KA told me that their flour is available through Dawn Seattle. But I called Dawn several times, trying to order KASG + KASL & was told that they don't handle it.

Offline Domino Rich

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 07:16:33 AM »
I went to a local cake bakery, talked to the owner and he is willing to order a bag for me.  The local distributors here in Connecticut would not sell cash and carry.   I think going to a bakery is the easiest and cheapest way to do this if you don't have a big distributor nearby.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 12:30:37 PM »
I got a quote from Fedex Ground to ship 50 pounds of flour to Seattle, it's 42.28.  Plus $20 for a bag of KA SL.  Maybe a few bucks more for a cardboard box.  It is not exactly cheap, but is that the best deal you can get?  One of these days I will make my way to Brooklyn to pick up this stuff (as far as I know I can't get it in NJ).  Have you considered looking for Guisto's locally instead?

Patrick

Offline Whiskyb

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 01:35:25 PM »
I just broke down and ordered 4  3lb bags. 6.95 a bag from King Arthurs store. When all is done adding in shipping it came to over $50. I hope its good

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 01:59:09 PM »
That is rough... not a fair price really :(
Patrick

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 05:11:33 PM »
I ordered a 50# sack of KASL from Dawn in Tukwilla, WA.  They did it on a cash basis once, but no long will do it.  This is really unfortunate, as it was under $15.

Jack

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 05:46:01 PM »
I just broke down and ordered 4  3lb bags. 6.95 a bag from King Arthurs store. When all is done adding in shipping it came to over $50. I hope its good

That's highway robbery. I understand that it's the only way you can get it, but when they sell it for ~50c a pound in bulk, it's unreal that they charge over $2/lb for the small bags.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:01:05 PM by Trogdor33 »

Offline milo357

• Go and make Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 08:17:10 AM »
Trogdor, you rock old school!   I used your Bulk food website to find out that I have a King Arthur distributor in the town RIGHT NEXT DOOR!  I drive by that store ALL THE TIME!

Thank you for taking the time to make that post!  I am driving there TODAY to see if I can get them to add Sir Lancelot in their next order.

Milo  :-D

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 08:20:09 AM »
Glad I could help. I live in a larger city and I had to drive an hour to get mine. :-\ It's totally worth it though.

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 11:08:15 PM »
Trogdor your the man. I found a source about 30 min away.
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 12:03:07 PM »
Trogdor that is outstanding. I just called and the place near me and they are great. I got a 50lb sack on order and it should be here next week. The greally great thing is they are a Boars Head retailer also.

They told me I could order anything I wanted that their distributors carry. Outstanding!
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 08:41:42 AM »
That's unfortunate that not all Dawn foods carry the KASG and KASL flour. I get it from Dawn foods all the time here in Dallas. I just picked up 3 50# bags of KASG.. Still have KASL so didn't need that, but we use the KASG for our AP flour and most bread we make.

Anyone that is near the DFW area though should take advantage of this if possible.
- Rich

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 10:56:59 AM »
if you need grande cheese i can send it usps. it will take a day or two at the most. with the cold weather it should be fine. my cost this week is 275 per pound. 13.80 per bag plus shipping. the grande is the 50/50 blend.another option is to come to ohio. have a pizza ,pick up cheese , [the market dropped and my new price will be here monday], and pick up a 25 pound bag of kasl for 9.48. let me know and i can get all kind of goodies from my suppliers.

Offline RichC

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 03:12:41 PM »
Many thanks Trogdor.

Dutch Valley Farms is a ~2 hour drive from me.  I was just about ready to make that drive when I read this thread.  I used your link to find a store about 30 minutes from me that sells bulk product from DVF.  I asked them if they would sell me a 50# bag of KA/SL from DVF and if yes, what that would cost me.  She quoted me the same price that DVF quoted me on the phone!!! 

So, I assume there must be a discount price for businesses, as opposed to the price they sell for Cash and Carry.  Anyway, same price for me without the extra 2 hours of driving.  Brilliant!  Thanks again!

BTW - Just under $25.00 for a 50# bag of KA/SL

pizzapan