Author Topic: Anybody here read "The art of pizza making" by Dominic DeAngelis?  (Read 6206 times)

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Just curious if anybody read this book and what your thoughts are on it.
Did you try the recipes and techniques etc.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: Anybody here read "The art of pizza making" by Dominic DeAngelis?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 09:13:06 PM »
Yes, I have that book. It's pretty good in that he recommends high gluten flour and provides some other useful information. Everything that's in his book has been covered here on the forum. It's a good book for someone who does not have access to this forum in that it teaches some good techniques, the use of HG flour, and, most importantly, an overnight fermentation in the refrigerator... things that are not taught in most pizza cookbooks.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline don juan de pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 05:14:52 AM »
Hello,

If I would of discovered this forum sooner I don't think I would have needed the book.  Very true, anyone who hasn't yet discovered this forum can learn a many valuable hints from Dominick's book.

The sole criticism I have about the book is that tends to frown upon the thing that makes the culinary arts so fun sometimes, improvisation and creativity. It certaintly doesn't say it explicitly, but just the way certain pages are written gives off that vibe.  NOt in terms of the 50+ different recipes, but  specifically in regards to the type of dough that can only be used, method of kneading and heat.   If one browses these forums you'll find a whole variety of combinations and techniques to pizzamaking with different tastes but still excellent results.  Sort of like taking different artistic styles, finding inspiration, mixing it around and making it your unique style and I like that.     

Perhaps the reviews simply tend to overhype an otherwise solid book.   

First post and already I'm complaining ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 05:18:26 AM by don juan de pizza »

Offline djeff

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 11:01:59 PM »
ya,  I read his book a few years ago... He seemed very knowledgeable and he obviously has experimented quite a bit and come up with a good formula.  However, I tried using his formula without a dough mixer, i.e., by hand and it didn't turn out very well.  I did like his idea on proofing the dough.  His book was great reading and when I get around to it I will try making his formula with my Kitchen Aid.  I am really into bakers percents and He doesn't follow this trend.  Because of Bakers Percents I am able to tweak my formulas week after week... i think its the way to go.  I translated his recipe into bakers percents a while ago and his hydration (% water) is about 67% so he is right in the ballpark.  He conditions his dough with a large percentage of sugar unlike New York or Neopolitan style pizzas so following his recipe may give you a dough more like the standard chain pizzerias... just guessing...