Author Topic: La Romanalla High Gluten Flour from Smart and Final Nutrition Facts  (Read 7129 times)

Offline Guts

I'm posting this to see if any one knows the Gluten % this may be a stupid question, but it dose not tell Gluten % on the Nutrition Facts. Or if it dose, I don't know how to read it.
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: La Romanalla High Gluten Flour from Smart and Final Nutrition Facts
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 04:24:22 PM »
Kim,

Nominally, the percentage protein of the La Romanella high-gluten flour is 4 grams/30 grams per serving, or 13.33%. However, it's hard to be precise on this because the labelling laws allow rounding out of numbers that can make the actual protein content higher or lower.

Peter

Offline Guts

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 04:38:47 PM »
Thank you Peter I made dough last night for the first time with this flour, and I have two pizza balls in the refrigerator for tonight. I hope it works out for me as I have 25Lbs of it.
Guts/AKA/Kim

Offline Whiskyb

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:42:58 AM »
Pete-zza, can I ask about the formula for figuring that out. I have been looking for a high gluten to try and everything I have looked at here in canada is 4 grams for protein. Is their a difference somewhere else that I need to look for?

Thanks

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:16:51 AM »
Pete-zza, can I ask about the formula for figuring that out. I have been looking for a high gluten to try and everything I have looked at here in canada is 4 grams for protein. Is their a difference somewhere else that I need to look for?

Whiskyb,

The best source of information on protein percent for a particular flour is the specifications for the flour. Unfortunately, not all millers or sellers of flours make their flour specs available to the public. This is especially common for private branded flours such as the LaRomanella flour, which seems to be a Smart and Final house brand. The best you can do under the circumstances is to divide the number of grams per serving by the serving size (in grams). So, for the LaRomanella flour, it is 4g./30g. = 13.33%. Most flour labels give both the protein content per serving size and the serving size. A remote possibility would be to call the distributor (Amerifoods Trading in the case of the LaRomanella flour) and see if they have the specs or can gain access to them.

Peter

Offline Farmer Brown

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 01:25:11 PM »
What you really want to do is ask for the Certificate of Analysis or COA. This will give you the exact protein for what's in the bag. Usually, the spec is a guideline that the flour is milled to. Because of growing conditions, wheat market and a whole host of other variables, what is spec'd is not necessarily what's in the bag.

Offline roksngr

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 07:07:05 PM »
so how did the dough turn out with the flour?

Offline Guts

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 07:31:47 PM »
Worked fine with the recipe I Was using. I have moved on to a starter and feeding process. I have tried all trumps and am now using KASL I say give it a try the price won't break you, get the smaller bag 25Lbs.
Guts/AKA/Kim

Offline roksngr

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 07:53:34 PM »
Actually I went ahead and bought a 25lb bag since I can't find any KASL around here. (SF BAY AREA) And I have to say it isn't that bad. I have been using some CRAP bread flour from I think pillsbury because it was on sale and I actually threw that crap out. This brought me back to my perfect doughs that I was used to making before the crappy stuff. It had a nice feel to it, and the crunch was nice. I would say it's comparable to KA bread flour. At least with the protein/gluten content not the flavor.

Offline PizzaNick

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 08:19:04 PM »
i dont have much to compare it to besides regular store brand AP flour, but i also have been using that same LRHG flour.  as i said i dont have much of a base to compare it to, but i do like it.  bakes good, works nice and easy, and the cost is decent, and i like it, so thats what ive been using.

Offline CAPSLOCK

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 12:25:55 PM »
I use LRHG as well for bread mostly, the occasional pizza, it's pretty good stuff for the price. That said, if your anywhere near The Bay Guisto's is really hard to beat, yeah it may cost a little more, but we're talking pizza here  ;D

Offline Guts

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 09:52:39 AM »
Those of you that are using La Romanella flour, are you also using there La Romanella Pizza Sauce?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 09:56:27 AM by Guts »
Guts/AKA/Kim

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 10:23:50 AM »
I mix La Romanalla Pizza sauce with their Marinara sauce....50/50........it's pretty good........expecially for $1.29 for a 28 oz can

Tony