Author Topic: Newb returns and needs Flour Advice!  (Read 1220 times)

Offline milo357

• Go and make Pizza!
Newb returns and needs Flour Advice!
« on: October 20, 2009, 06:10:25 PM »
Opinions on Flour please!

Hey folks, milo the newb back after a long hiatus.

Very good news.  I have aquired a KitchenAid mixer with a most excellent dough hook.  I made what I thought was a very succesful LOOKING dough the other day.  Unfortunatly, the taste left a bit to be desired.  A little hard (may have overbaked) and flat.

I went a looked at all the local flour I had at the store, and would GREATLY apperciate advice on which is a good pizza flour.  I still LONG to duplicate the fabled Zinover....

Martha White
King Arthur
Hudson Cream
Pillsbury (which I used in my first attempt)
Eagles Mill
Hodgsen Mill
Bobs Red Mill

Oh, yes, I used the basic recipe I found over at PizzaManiac.com.  My goal is a good hand tossed recipe.  If your a Cincinnatian old school, I seek ZINO's!

Thank you all in advance very much for the advice.

Milo

Offline Domino Rich

Re: Newb returns and needs Flour Advice!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 07:21:02 AM »
Beyond the brand you need to dig into the type as well.   I have tried all purpose flour, and two different brands of bread flour.   The bread flour will have higher protein percentages that make for a better handling dough.   In reading this forum you will find the most recommended flour seems to be King Arthur Sir Lancerlot, which can be a bit hard to find.   The other key part of getting a good dough is to have consistency in your dough making process.  You may want to consider getting a scale so you can weigh your flour.  That will give you good control of your hydration percentage.   Have fun!

Offline milo357

• Go and make Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:05:18 AM »
I will have to go see what kind of King Arthur brand that was.

I seem to be lucking out though, I just got a scale for another project. ha!

Off to read!

Milo

Offline bonny68

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 09:19:32 PM »
Hi Milo-I am searching for the Zinover recipe also! If you ever find it, please let me know! THX-Bonnie (formerly of Cincy)