Author Topic: 18" NY Pizza crust  (Read 10042 times)

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
Re: 18" NY Pizza crust
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2005, 03:09:23 PM »
DC PM,
If you would try and get as close as possible, with words, to describing your technique I'm sure the forum membership would immensely appreciative. I know I would. If you have pictures then all the better. Either way, we all want to learn new techniques and it sounds as if yours is worth trying.

By the way, when I lived in McLean, Va I use to drive into the city to get my pie from a place on the corner of 6th and New York I think. It was the best in town at the time. It had red and white checkered tablecloths with an Italian family running it. Do you know what the name is and if it istill there?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 03:12:16 PM by pftaylor »
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline D.C. Pizza Master

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2005, 04:46:20 PM »
DC PM,
If you would try and get as close as possible, with words, to describing your technique I'm sure the forum membership would immensely appreciative. I know I would. If you have pictures then all the better. Either way, we all want to learn new techniques and it sounds as if yours is worth trying.

By the way, when I lived in McLean, Va I use to drive into the city to get my pie from a place on the corner of 6th and New York I think. It was the best in town at the time. It had red and white checkered tablecloths with an Italian family running it. Do you know what the name is and if it istill there?

A.V. Ristorante?

i think thats the place.....ive never tried their pizzas

but ill tell you what man

the name of our restaurant is

Sorriso Restaurant
3518 connecticut avenue

my name is Stefano

if you come in..ill show you how its done.....because descibring the process is impossible..let me see if i can get some pics or something like that

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2005, 07:07:08 PM »
D.C. Pizza Master,

I live in Texas and only get to NYC once in a while, so I will never be an "expert" on NY style pizza. But a lot of the members on this forum, especially those who grew up in the city, have taught me a fair amount about the NY style pizza.

Most of what you have said about the NY style pizza is correct. Most of the NY style pizzas are around 16-18 inches in diameter. Once in a while a pizza operator will want to show off and make a pizza over 20 inches, but that is not common. The crust of the NY style pizza is thin, a bit leathery and chewy. The rim (il cornicione) can be small or large, but I am told that the rim is more often small rather than large. When a NY style pizza is cut into slices, the tip will droop when you hold a slice by the rim. The slice can be folded in half, usually lengthwise, but I understand that some fold the slice from tip to rim. I believe the Italians would refer to these techniques as a libretto or portafoglio.

The NY style pizza most often uses high-gluten flour (around 14% protein), which contributes to the texture of the crust and, to a degree, to its color. A high-gluten crust will also lend itself better to holding a lot of toppings, which is much more common in the U.S. than in Italy, from what I can tell.

Most skilled American pizzaioli seem to be able to expand the dough into a fairly large disk without much difficulty, using their knuckles and spinning and tossing to do so. Your technique reminds me of the way that phyllo dough and strudel dough used to be made-entirely on a table, by stretching and pulling the dough outwardly gradually, drooping it over the edges of the table, all without much lifting. That's become a lost art.

I hope this gives you a better idea of the NY style. If I have left anything important out, my colleagues at the forum will set me straight.

Peter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2005, 09:35:31 PM »
D.C. Pizza Master,

I live in Texas and only get to NYC once in a while, so I will never be an "expert" on NY style pizza. But a lot of the members on this forum, especially those who grew up in the city, have taught me a fair amount about the NY style pizza.

Most of what you have said about the NY style pizza is correct. Most of the NY style pizzas are around 16-18 inches in diameter. Once in a while a pizza operator will want to show off and make a pizza over 20 inches, but that is not common. The crust of the NY style pizza is thin, a bit leathery and chewy. The rim (il cornicione) can be small or large, but I am told that the rim is more often small rather than large. When a NY style pizza is cut into slices, the tip will droop when you hold a slice by the rim. The slice can be folded in half, usually lengthwise, but I understand that some fold the slice from tip to rim. I believe the Italians would refer to these techniques as a libretto or portafoglio.

The NY style pizza most often uses high-gluten flour (around 14% protein), which contributes to the texture of the crust and, to a degree, to its color. A high-gluten crust will also lend itself better to holding a lot of toppings, which is much more common in the U.S. than in Italy, from what I can tell.

Most skilled American pizzaioli seem to be able to expand the dough into a fairly large disk without much difficulty, using their knuckles and spinning and tossing to do so. Your technique reminds me of the way that phyllo dough and strudel dough used to be made-entirely on a table, by stretching and pulling the dough outwardly gradually, drooping it over the edges of the table, all without much lifting. That's become a lost art.

I hope this gives you a better idea of the NY style. If I have left anything important out, my colleagues at the forum will set me straight.

Peter

thankyou for the information....

yes....the way i open up the pizza is like this......taylor..ok ill try to describe it for you

1st phase:using only your fingers and with both hands press down from the top center of the pizza to the bottom center..then come up the left side of the dough with your left hand..and the right side of the dough with your right hand..continue these steps until your dough is shaped is a circle...MAKE SURE THE DOUGH IS EVENLY DISTRIBUTED AND MAKE SURE THAT YOU DONT PRESS THE DOUGH OUTSIDE OF ITS BORDERS...ALWAYS WORK WITHIN THE BORDERS

2nd phase: using your both hands..place in the inside the pizza....now with your right hand...use your palm to turn push outwards the right hand side of the pizza but WITHIN THE BORDERS...now with your left land..keep it towards the center left hand side of the dough..simply use palm to push slightly and to guide the pizza (WITHIN BORDERS) which should be turning around counterclockwise..do this until the pizza is about 8 inches in diameter...

3rd phase:pick your dough up and smack it around using your left and right hands in a fast motion so you can get rid of any excess flour

4th phase: repeat phase 2 except that your letting the pizza hang off the marble countertop(this helps aid in the opening) when you think your pizza is big enough lets say 12 inches..simply guide your pizza off the edge and fully on to countertop

thats it

by the way..as i was posting this...i decided to go downstairs and try to make a big pizza..using 180 grams..i was able to make an 18 1/2 inch pizza just for fun

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2005, 04:08:03 AM »
Pizza Master.

Im headed to DC in May. Where is your restaraunt? I would love to come check it out. Im headed there with family.

L8r!  8)

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2005, 01:21:32 PM »
Pizza Master.

Im headed to DC in May. Where is your restaraunt? I would love to come check it out. Im headed there with family.

L8r!  8)

Sorriso Restaurant
3518 Connecticut Avenue

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2005, 01:44:08 PM »
DC PM,
Thanks so much for posting your dough opening method. It just goes to show you, there are thousands of variations on how to craft a pie. I will definitely give your technique a try. What type of dough do you use this with? Hard, soft or any kind?

There is no more AV in my future, I'm going to Sorriso.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

pizzapan